Friday 28 March 2014

5 thousand dollar bread 5千块老式面包

In Singapore, there are some really good documentaries in Chinese but hardly any in English.  I always wonder why the English production dept doesn’t tap into the Chinese production dept. and have an English version.  Very often, they have a better storyline documentary than English.  Thus these days, I don't even bother to turn on the TV. 

Just like for blog, I find the Chinese blog often has very interesting recipes.  As for me, I seldom read a Chinese blog because I have a problem comprehending the ingredients terminology. Thus I depended a lot on my bilingual blog friends for information and one such recipe is this 5 thousand dollar bread 5千块老式面包 recipe. 

Apparently, this recipe has gotten a lot of good reviews and I was extremely curious.  Also given that I haven't baked bread for a long time.  

It was a long process baking this bread but since I am home alone with no disturbance and I am more or less done with my housework.  I have the time!

As I have some yam paste and red bean paste I wanted to clear off the freezer, I might as well fill it up in the buns.

Verdict: As for the texture, it is soft and fluffy but I still prefer the 17 hours bread recipe.  I especially love the bun with the yam fillings though.


I shared these with the Hong’s family and D gave good feedback as she loves yam too.


Source: Victoria Bakes

What you need:

Starter dough (A)

210g bread flour
90g cake flour
24g caster sugar
6g instant dry yeast
240g water

Main dough (B)

210g bread flour
90g cake flour
96g caster sugar
1½ tsp salt
24g milk powder
90g egg
54g water
72g unsalted butter, softened

I tbsp Melted butter for glazing the bread

Method:

Mix A together in a large mixing bowl and allow it to sit in a warm place to raise until it looks like honeycomb texture.  (approx 1 – 1½ hours).

Greased a 29½ X 23 cm tray.

Add the starter dough (A) to (B) except for the butter.  Knead with a dough hook until it is soft and non sticky.

Add in the butter and continue to knead until it is shiny and pliable.

Cling wrap the bowl and place in a warm place until it is double in size.  Proofing time approx 1 hour.

Punch down the dough and divide into 6 portions.  Shaped (Please refer to the above blogs for instruction) and placed in the greased baking tray.  Proof for ½ hour - 45 min.

Bake in preheated oven of 180ºC on lower rack for 30 mins or until it is nicely brown.

Remove bread and immediately brush on melted butter.



Thanks for doing the translation Vic!

Cheers

10 comments:

  1. I have made this several times in loaf and buns. The pillow soft texture only shown in 'flower' shaping. Do try the original shaping and find out the outcome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So this texture is not applicable for other bread shaping? Now I am curious to find out more.

      Delete
  2. I am also very curious about this 5k bread. Going to try when I have more time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lian, Vivian said that you need to do that flower shaping to yield the best result. So please try that.

      Delete
  3. Anything made by Edith is always best.... 17 or 36 hour, all I like! U r the veteran mah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vic, you are flattering me to the utmost. I am just learning. You are the pro.

      Delete
  4. Hi Edith, I baked this bread too and find it very nice, very soft even after a couple of days....great idea to bake buns!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is soft and fluffy but somehow my family prefers the 17 hours texture.

      Delete
  5. Hi Edith, may I know where can I buy ready made red bean paste and yam paste. I am a new baker. I would like to try to bake some bread. Thk you. Joyce

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joyce, you can get Kwong Cheong Thye Pte Ltd Lorong 27 Geylang
      For the yam it is store inside the fridge. For the red bean paste you have got to ask the sales. As for new baker, maybe you want to try the no knead bread first (40 mins)

      Delete

Thanks for dropping by. Thanks.