Thursday 21 August 2014

Chestnut Manju Mooncake

I do not like monotone life style.  I can't eat the same food daily or even weekly.  I like changes especially for food. 

Thus for this mooncake festival, I wanted a change from the usual truffle mooncakessnowskin mooncakes and baked lotus mooncakes that I had done in the past.

This time, I chose Chestnut Manju Mooncake.  I like chestnut and I never had manju before.  Since I have some white bean paste in the freezer and I just bought a packet of ready cooked chestnut, so it is easy for me to get started.



What you need:

150g HongKong Flour
¾ tsp baking powder
45g castor sugar
1 egg
white sesame seeds for garnish
1 egg for glazing

240g white bean paste – divide into 12 pcs of 20g each  (roll into balls)
12 pcs chestnut

Method:

Sift Hong Kong flour and baking powder together.

Whip the egg and sugar together until sugar dissolved.

Lightly fold in the sifted flour to form a dough.

Cover the dough with clingwrap and let it rest for 15 mins.

Divide dough into 12 pcs of 20g each.

Wrap chestnut with bean paste to form a ball.

Flatten dough into a disk and wrap the bean ball.  Shape into a chestnut shape.

Indent a cicle with a small spoon.  Brush with egg wash and sprinkle sesame seeds onto it. 

Glaze manju all around. 

Bake in preheated oven at 180°C for 20 mins or until golden brown.

Cheers!



I'm joining Best Recipes for Everyone : (August 2014 Event: Mooncake) hosted by XuanHom's Mon Kitchen Diary




This post is linked to the event Little Thumbs Up  , organized by Bake For Happy Kids and My Little Favourite DIY , hosted by Domestic Goddess Wannabe



6 comments:

  1. i like this twist in mooncake, especially with the absence of golden syrup and alkaline water.... easy to make and quick to eat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    Can i know where did you buy the white bean paste ?

    LKS

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a very yummy & easy to make moon cake
    Thank for sharing with Best Recipes^^

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Edith, this is something new to me. Looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cute - looks like little bread buns, till you bite into it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Edith, I like chestnut, will definitely like this type of mooncake too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. Thanks.