Saturday 16 August 2014

Chicken Adobo

Few months ago, we had dinner with R and AJ. They recently transferred their love nest from Japan to Singapore. R is truly an amazing cook and I wish I have the chance to learn more from him. 

One dish that captivated and reminded me of many good friendship formed during my working days was Chicken Adobo. 

I had cooked this before but using B's recipe. As for R's, it is slightly different. 

For those who know me well, Filipino's and Vietnamese cuisines are very close to my heart and I wish I can learnt it well to pass down to my children. 

For this recipe, AJ said to achieve authentic taste, she suggest I use Filipino vinegar and soy sauce. It is relatively easy to find the coconut vinegar but as for the soy sauce, I was not so lucky.


Findings: This is so good with a bowl of steaming hot white rice. Super yummy. 

Next round, I will try pork. 

What you need: 

A.
1kg chicken
1 head garlic, crushed
(more garlic - better)
½ cup soy sauce
1 cup vinegar
1 cups of water
½ tsp whole black pepper
5 bay leaves 

B. 

3-4 cloves of garlic - minced
4 tbsp of cooking oil or olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
water 

Method:

Mix all ingredients in and leave for 3 hrs at room temp or
overnight inside the fridge.

Pour the chicken with the marinade in a big sauce pot and let boil uncovered - don't stir until all vinegar smell evaporates (5-10mins approx). 

Add water in small amount if needed. 

Cover and let it simmer under low heat until the sauce thickens or when meat is tender. 

Remove meat. 

Heat 2 tablespoons of oil then sauté the minced garlic. 

Add the meat to the pan.

Brown the meat for a few minutes. 

Return the browned meat back to the sauce.

Season with salt and pepper.

Bring to a boil then simmer for an additional 5 minutes. 

Serve hot with the adobo gravy and rice.

Happy Weekend!


2 comments:

  1. Drooling at your picture, Edith. I have not tried Chicken Adobo. I am thinking of cooking this using your recipe and let my Filipino friends to try. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, heard of this famous Philippines dish and i'm coming over to see the recipe cos recently a friend told me that the boss from a wine drinking bar claimed that their chicken adobo is good...and upon hearing that , i was surprised too why a drinking bar serves chicken adobo...then we were joking bcos it seems that the waitress there might be a filipino. The vinegar in it sounds appetising!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. Thanks.