Wednesday 17 September 2014

Wei Bo bun 微波面包 (Chocolate)

When I first saw this Wei Bo bun 微波面包, I was so captivated by the cute size. It is so tiny and it reminded me of those mini buns that were sold in bakeries.  

Apparently, this bun was so popular last year and as usual, I am always the late bloomer. Next came the name of these buns. If you translate it literally, it meant microwave bun but it is nowhere near using a microwave.
 


According to Nasi Lemak Lover's reader, this is also known as Micro Bun.  While another name that I failed to associate with. 

Whatever it is, do visit Siew Hwei's kitchen to give a very comprehensive variety that this bread can produce. 


Though time-consuming, I am still going to give this a shot.  If you are short of time, you can also, visit Nasi Lemak Lover's version as she skips some proofing time for her attempt.


Looking at the method of shaping this bread, it is like making a flaky pastry. So I think it is about the gentle layers this bun gives that is how it got its name from.
  


Learning experience: 

It is not as easy as I had imagined (exclude the time factor).  For the first stage, the dough was rather dry.

After 1 hour of proofing, while incorporating the first dough, it is still tough to knead to a smooth dough.  In order not to burn my machine, I did by hand eventually.  Personally, I find it hard to knead as it was "dry" and will definitely dry again.

Update: This bread stays soft even after a few days.



I will halve this recipe as one full recipe is too much for 3.


What you need:

A)
400g bread flour
8g instant yeast
32g milk powder
100g eggs
½ tsp vanilla
145g milk

(B)
120g bread flour
15g cocoa powder
80g brown sugar
8g fine salt
54g milk
60g butter, room temperature

Egg wash-1 egg + 1tbsp milk 

Method:

Mix (A) ingredient together in a mixing bowl and knead to form into dough.  Cling wrap and leave to proof until double in size.

Break (A) dough into small piece and mix into (B) ingredients.  Knead to form a smooth dough.

Divide dough into 40g each, shape into ball and let it proof for another 10 mins.

Using a rolling pin, roll the dough into a long rectangle, let it sit for 10 mins.

Roll up the dough (like a swiss roll) and turn it 90°C and roll into a long rectangle and follow by rolling up like a swiss roll. 

Let it rest into the baking pan for 50 mins.

Brush egg wash and bake at 170°C for 12 mins.






Cheers!

1 comment:

  1. Wow...these bun so soft,well done!Wish I could have one for my kopi time..hahaha
    Thanks for sharing with Best Recipes ^^

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. Thanks.