Saturday 25 October 2014

Beef Brisket 牛腩

My first love for Beef Brisket 牛腩面 was this small stall in Parkway Parade.  Ever since I moved out of that area in my teens, I lost touch with this stall and was told that subsequently they shifted elsewhere.

Then I rekindled this awesome dish in one of the mall in Jelutung where my girl used to take her phonic class.  This stall was owned by a lady from Hong Kong.  We love it so much that nearly every week, we dine there.  Subsequently she closed down her stall and moved back to Hong Kong.

It is sad to see good recipe disappeared.  So today, I am trying to see whether this recipe is close to my memory.

Actually this is my first time buying Beef Brisket.  Those vendors that I patronized normally do not have this.  They will normally recommend either shins or topside.   So I was rather happy to get a kilo but I have to put up with that bad attitude of this vendor.  



Findings: This is really good.  Though not same as the Hong Kong lady's but I can confidently say that it is good enough to satisfy us.

What you need:

A
1 tbsp ginger juice
2 tbsp light soya sauce
3 tbsp dark soya sauce
1 tsp pepper

B
1 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp vinegar

C
1 tbsp cornflour
3 tbsp water

D
1 tbsp cornflour
3 tbsp water

E
1 tbsp brown sugar
6 slices ginger

F
10 cloves garlic, crushed
10 small onion, cut into halves

G
2 star anise
1 stalk lemongrass, bruised
1 pc cinnamon

1 kg beef brisket, chunk
2 tbsp oil

Method:

Marinate beef with A for 1 hour or overnight.

Mix B and C in separate bowls.

Heat oil in wok to brown sugar and ginger (E).  

Add in garlic and onions (F) to it and sautee until fragrant.

Add star anise, lemongrass, cinnamon (G) and beef brisket.  Stir fry over high heat for 10 mins.

Add in (B)

Add approx 400ml water and bring to boil for 10 mins.

Lower heat and let it simmer for 2 hours until meat is tender and soft.

Thicken gravy with (C) and stir well.

Serve either with noodle or white rice.




Cheers

2 comments:

  1. Sorry I'm confused. What do we do with B (sugar, salt, vinegar) ? and there's 2 sets of D listed. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the highlight. I have amended the typo error accordingly.

      Delete

Thanks for dropping by. Thanks.