Monday 20 October 2014

Thai Acacia Omelette ไข่เจียวชะอม Khai Jeow Cha Om

It is really nice to go wet market with someone as knowledgeable as Alan from Travelling Foodie.   Despite me being much older, I am like a baby with zero knowledge on a lot of fruits and vegetable available in Tekka Market.

We were on our last stop when he spotted Acacia.  I guess this herb is only available in either Golden Mile Complex or Tekka Market.   Alan was waving the bunch of Acacia and saying it doesn't smell nice but taste really good but my sense of smell was already numbed by the mutton, beef and seafood and thus I couldn't detect.  



After coming home, and giving this a good rinse, I can detect a not so pleasant smell from this herb, as what Alan said, it smells like petai.  It is not the pungent smell of Rue.  Personally I think it has a milder scent of petai.

For more information on Acacia, I suggest you hop over to Alan's blog as he gave a really comprehensive information on this dish Thai Acacia Omelette ไข่เจียวชะอม Khai Jeow Cha Om.  




Findings: I was a little worried that my kids don't like it as they don't like petai.  Surprisingly, after cooking, the smell totally evaporated.  The additional of onion gives it a sweet taste to it.

Overall, my family enjoyed this alot.

Guess if I ever visit Tekka market, this will be the herb that I will look out for.  

Today's adventure is really fun.  I gained so much knowledge learning from Alan.  Thanks for bringing me out. :)  and sharing with me this wonderful recipe.

What you need:

2 bunches of Cha Om
5 eggs
1 onion, sliced thinly
1 red chilli, sliced thinly
1 tbsp fish sauce
1 pinch of salt
1 pinch of sugar
1 tbsp cooking oil

Method:

Pluck out only the leaves and tender shoots.  (beware of thorns)  Wash well and drained.

Crack eggs into a bowl and add in fish sauce, salt and sugar.  Beat to combine.  Add in the Cha Om leaves and mix well.

Heat wok until very hot, add oil and sautee onion until soft.

Add in egg mixture and swirl pan round to even out the egg.

Scatter cut chillies.

Cook until golden brown and flip over and cook the other side until golden.

Using the spatula, cut the omelette into quarters.  

Serve hot with rice.




Cheers!


3 comments:

  1. This looks very easy and delicious! I have no idea what cha om is. Now, I got to try finding them in Thai supermarket. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. look at the colours on that omelette! i am rarely a fan of omelettes but this i love to try! very gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the way you write and share your niche! Very interesting and different! Keep it coming! เล่นบาคาร่า

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. Thanks.