Sunday 1 March 2015

Black Pearl Chiffon

P gave me the idea of baking chiffon for today's blogger gathering.  This is a good choice as I am sure many of us are getting sick and tired of rich food.   Then again, there are so many types of chiffon cake around and I recalled eating a seriously yummilious chocolate chiffon cake before (unfortunately I can't share that recipe)

So I decided to go along with that flavour and I remembered Black Pearl Chiffon was popular sometime back.  Thus I decided to try this one as I had never baked one before and I am not sure whether it was close to that yummy chocolate chiffon I baked.



Verdict: This cake is light, airy and it is chocolatey!  I shall now have a base to tweak.

Next round, I need to make those bubble smaller as I was told that a good chiffon must have fine bubble.

Source: I can't recall where I take this from, once I remember I will credit back.

What you need:

5 Egg Yolks
130g 70% Dark Cooking Chocolate
60ml Corn Oil
100ml Milk (I used chocolate milk)
55g Cake Flour
25g Valrhona Dutch-Processed Cocoa Powder
½ tsp Baking Powder
½ tsp Baking Soda
¼ tsp Salt

5 Egg Whites
70g Caster Sugar
½ tsp Lemon Juice

Method:

Melt chocolate (break into small pieces) over a pot of simmering water. Set aside to cook. 

Beat egg yolks till creamy, stir oil, milk and melt chocolate in order.

Next add in sieved flour mixtures (cake flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, soda & salt) and whisk till no trace of flour found. 

Beat egg whites with lemon juice till frosty then slowly add in sugar and beat till stiff peaks.

Using a balloon whisk gently fold in egg whites into the prepared yolks batter in 3 batches till no trace of whites and the mixture are well combined.

Lastly lift up the bowl to height, pour batter into the tube pan and tap the pan once or twice on a table top to get rid of any trapped air bubbles in the batter.

Bake cake in preheated 160°C degree oven (2nd lower rack) for about 43 - 45 minutes or when the surfaces turns golden brown (you can insert a skewer into the centre and test if it comes out clean). 


Remove it from the oven and invert the pan immediately to let it cool completely before unmoulding.

To remove the cake from the pan, run a thin-bladed knife around the inside of the pan and the center core.

Release the cake and run the knife/spatula along the base of the pan to remove the cake completely. 



Have a good week ahead!

3 comments:

  1. yummy! i love this dark pearl jap chiffon cake.. it's truly very rich in chocolate... i can eat the entire cake to be frank

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Chinese New Year! Your black pearl chiffon looks lovely and soft and very chocolatey too. Must make this one day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Edith,

    Being a chocolate and chiffon cake person, I really love this chiffon cake too. Seeing yours make my hands "itch" again :p

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. Thanks.