Saturday 23 May 2015

My Mother-In-Law's Madeira Cake (Nigella Lawson) (air fryer)

Whenever I hear a recipe that was passed down by mother or mother in law.  I envy that person who is so generous in sharing it with others.

I have grandmothers and mother who are great cooks but unfortunately only a tiny percentage is being passed down.  During my grandmas' era, they cooked by estimation and I was way too young to be inquisitive. 

For my mom, many had since forgotten due to old age.  I wish I had picked up this interest earlier so that I can have it documented.  It is sad.  That is why I wanted to document my learning journey for my children.  Hopefully later on in life, they will make use of this.

Anyway, for this month Bake Along, the chosen theme is My Mother In Law's Madeira Cake.  

Many cake decorating books use Madeira Cake as their base because it is sturdy enough to hold up all the fondant cake decoration.  So if you want to bake a cake for your kids, you might want to consider using Nigella's recipe as hers is one of the most popular hit in cyberworld. (see Bake for Happy Kid research)


Verdict: The cake is light and what I love best is the lemony taste.  Definitely a keeper.  I also baked this in the air fryer and it did turn out well.

Adapted from : How to be a Domestic Goddess by Nigella Lawson or here

What you need:

70g unsalted butter (softened)  
70g caster sugar (plus extra for sprinkling)  
grated zest of ½ unwaxed lemon
20ml lemon juice
1 large eggs
70g self-raising flour
30g plain flour

Method:

Greased and lined 8 x 17 cm loaf tin or 5" round pan.  Preheat oven to 170ºC.

Beat butter and sugar until light.

Add in lemon zest.

Add egg and beat until combined.

Then slowly fold in the rest of the flour and the lemon juice.

Note: The cake batter can be very thick thus spread the batter with a spoon or spatula evenly in the prepared pan.

Sprinkle with 1 tsp of caster sugar before baking.

Bake for 25 mins or until cake is done.

Cool in pan before further cooling on rack.

For airfryer: 160ºC for 17 - 20 mins



I'm submitting this post to Bake Along #79 organized by Zoe of Bake for Happy Kids, Joyce of kitchenflavours and Lena of herfrozenwings.



Enjoy your weekend.



7 comments:

  1. The texture just looks marvellous... love to have this for my tea ^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. when my grandma was around, i was too young and not really interested to learn about cooking. My mum who is not too fond of cooking didnt really get to learn from her mum too but at least now the good thing is we have internet and we have friends willing to share some of their passed down recipes with us..delicious or not is one thing. more important is the sharing and generosity. thx for baking this madeira cake, good to know that you like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Edith,
    So yummy ! definitely perfect with any beverages.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Edith,

    You can even bake this cake in your air fryer... I'm impressed. Totally agree with you that this recipe is a keeper! :D

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Edith,
    Recipes passed down are treasures indeed!
    Your cake bakes out beautifully, and glad to know that you have enjoyed it.
    Thanks for baking along with us!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. Thanks.