Friday 31 July 2015

Devil's Food Cupcake

It has been ages since I last bake cupcakes.  I have been missing Bake Along event as I have been so busy.  I am not complaining because I know my time is all well spent but it is scary to think that we are on the last day of July.  7 months into 2015!  Really unbelievable.

Since I am able to share my bakes as I have some workers in the house, this will be a perfect time to serve this for their tea break.

For this recipe, I also added in some instant coffee to bring out the chocolatey taste further.  Since I have not touch frosting for 2 years, I think I am really rusty now.  It turned soft pretty fast and not holding the shape well.  Perhaps it is because of my warm hands.  Nevertheless, this recipe is a keeper.




Findings: The cake is really soft and moist.  The chocolate taste is intense as well.  Totally love it.  Let's hope family will enjoy.


Source: Bon Appetit by Barbara Fairchild

What you need:
Yield 18 pcs

50g natural unsweetened cocoa powder
60g dark chocolate, chopped
½ cup boiling water
120g sour cream
150g cake flour
¾ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
120g dark brown sugar
100g canola oil
100g castor sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp of instant coffee

Frosting

180g bittersweet or semisweet chocolate (do not exceed 61% cacao), chopped
2 tbsp heavy whipping cream
30g unsalted butter
114g natural yogurt
1 tsp vanilla extract
26g powdered sugar

Method:

Preheat oven to 180°C. Line 16 standard muffin cups with paper liners.

Mix cocoa powder, instant coffee and chocolate in medium bowl.

Pour ½ cup boiling water over; whisk until smooth.

Next, whisk in yogurt until combined.

Sift flour, baking soda, and salt in another medium bowl.

Beat brown sugar, oil, sugar, eggs, and vanilla in large bowl until light and creamy, about 2 mins.

Beat in flour mixture, alternating with chocolate mixture in 2 additions. Divide batter among paper liners.

Bake until tester inserted into center comes out with some crumbs attached, about 18 mins.

Cool in pans on cooling rack 10 mins. Transfer cupcakes to rack and cool completely.

Frosting:

Mix chocolate over a double boiler. 

Add in the cream and butter and stir until the butter melted and become smooth.  Remove from double boiler.

Whisk in yogurt and vanilla, then powdered sugar.

Let it cool until thick enough to spread, about 10 mins.

 

I’m submitting this to Bake-Along #83 : Devil’s Food Cupcakes hosted by:
 Zoe from Bake for Happy Kids, Joyce from Kitchen Flavours and Lena from Her Frozen Wings.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Edith,
    Lovely cupcakes! And I think your frosting looks very chocolaty luscious! We've really enjoyed these cupcakes too.
    Always wonderful to have you baking along with us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Edith, I have been busy too and thank you for dropping by. These cupcakes are delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hope your family have enjoyed eating these very chocolatey cupcakes and so did the workers too! Happy to see you baking these choc cupcakes with us and hv a good week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Edith,
    The cupcake certainly looks prettily frosted. Must be yummy too ^-^!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Edith,

    Please pardon me for not checking out the links lately!!! So pai say that I have forgotten about it :p

    Your cupcakes look very pretty too with the glossy and swirly frosting. The workers must be happy enjoying these for their tea breaks :D

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. Thanks.