Monday 23 November 2015

Belgian Waffles (II)

Lately I have been yearning for Belgian Waffles.  Perhaps I fell in love with those that I ate recently and was eager to see whether I can produce the same result.  

I don't really know how a good waffle should be but my personal choice will be crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside.   

Now, I wish I have a deep waffle iron to work.  Somehow, it just taste different if it is a thin waffle.  Is it a mind game?   Haiz... the "must have" and the "nice to have" debate.

Some day some day.....



Findings: The waffle yield a crispy and yet fluffy texture.  If only I have a thick waffle iron, I think this will be as good as those available outside.

Now I have to churn out a batch of ice cream to go with this recipe real soon.

Definitely a keeper.

Source: Bruno Albouze

What you need:

250g plain flour
4g dry yeast
45g castor sugar
1g salt
250ml fresh milk
125ml beer
2 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 tbsp vegetable oil
90g unsalted butter, melted and kept warm

Method:

Combine flour, yeast and salt in a bowl.

Whisk in the eggs, vanilla, milk and beer.

Add the warm melted butter and mix until well combined.

Transfer to a container and cling wrap.  Poke a hole and let it proof for 1 hour at room temperature.  Then refrigerate it overnight.

Bring batter back to room temperature before cooking.

Alternatively, you can let it proof at room temperature for 3 rooms and use immediately.

Cook waffle for 3 mins.

Serve with your favourite toppings.


Have a good week ahead.

6 comments:

  1. I couldn't decide whether to get a proper waffle machine too! I love eating waffles but don't think I make them often enough to warrant one which will take up space in the kitchen... dilemma! I shall first satisfy my craving with your waffles... look so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jas, I have this dilemma too but whenever I make these, I wish mine was thicker. hahaha... and if ever I get one, I will have to forego this square and round ones. haiz.

      Delete
  2. Hi,
    Do the waffles have a yeasty/alkaline taste? I made yeasted waffles before and find the taste too strong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jerome, surprisingly it is yeast/alkaline taste. I had a feeling that the beer has a part to do with this.

      Delete
  3. Surely perfect with drizzle of maple syrup + ice-cream. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ya i ran out of ice cream. So I substituted with whipped cream instead. Still nice with jam, whipped cream and maple syrup.

      Delete

Thanks for dropping by. Thanks.