Monday 2 May 2016

Soy milk (Duyu: 두유)

My family loves soy milk and I tried to make them at home.  For those serve outside, it is either too sweet or too diluted.  Also my concern with the GMO issues as I was told that soy bean is one of those used often.

For me, I know I can use up the okara but I am just too lazy.  Yet I felt such a waste throwing it away each time.

So when I chanced upon Maangchi's Soy milk (Duyu: 두유), I want to try her method.


Findings: My family still prefers the filtered method and I added sugar instead as they prefers it sweetened.

What you need:

1 cup dried soya beans, soaked in cold water overnight
3 cups icy cold water
50g unsalted toasted cashews
1 tbsp sesame seeds, toasted
2 tbsp sugar

Method:

Remove the skins from the beans.  Strain the beans and put them in a large bowl.

Fill the bowl with cold water and remove any floating skins, then pour out the water. Repeat this a couple of times: scrubbing, adding water, pouring out the skins and water, until you are left with mostly skinned beans.

Strain the skinned beans.

Put skinned beans in a large pot with 2 cups of water, cover, and boil for 15 minutes over medium high heat. If it boils over, cover pot halfway.

Soak the cashew in water.

Rinse the beans in cold water and remove the remaining skins floating on the top.  Drain with a sieve.

Add the cashews and sesame seeds together with 1 cup of the soy bean to the blender. (Freeze the leftover beans for future use).

Add 2 cups of water and blend for 2 minutes until the mixture turns creamy.

Add the remaining 1 cup of water and the sugar. Blitz for 10 seconds.

Transfer the soy milk to 4 large cups and serve right away.



Take care!


6 comments:

  1. I was wondering how different the soymilk will taste if it goes through the cold press juicer? But unfortunately I don't have one to try the idea..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For soya bean, you need to boil it if not it has this metallic taste to it.

      Delete
  2. There is a place nearby where I work thyat make soy milk and put hot and cold soy milk in a pot for people to enjoy. I always thought its a complicated process and need some special equipment but this is a great tutorial to make soy milk at home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is not difficult to make soy milk, you only need a good sieve to do it.

      Delete
  3. Cashew and soy milk sounds like a delicious combination. I invested in a soymilk maker recently and I think I'll give this a try!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. Thanks.