Wednesday 30 November 2016

Castella Cake 蜂蜜蛋糕

I have never eaten a Castella Cake before.  Even when I visited Hokkaido a few years ago, it never dawned on me to buy one to try.  I was curious about how the texture will be.

I always wanted to bake a Castella Cake but somehow never got to do it.  Thanks to my friend who help me with some translation, I managed to get this cake out.


Am surprised that it is not as difficult as I perceived it to be and best of all, I don't need a wooden mould to bake this!

Learning experience: 

The texture is spongy but we feel that it is too sweet for us.  Thus I will lower the sugar in my next attempt.


What you need:

20g milk
20g mirin
10g salad oil
10g corn syrup
40g honey

4 eggs
120g castor sugar (will lower it)
110g bread flour


Method:

Lined 7" square pan.

In a bowl, combine milk, mirin, oil, corn syrup and honey.  Microwave at 20 – 30 sec and stir until mixture is dissolved.

Beat egg and sugar until sugar dissolved (over a bowl of hot water) and remove from the hot water bath.  Continue on a mixer and beat until ribbon stage.  Lower speed and beat for 2 mins to reduce the air bubble.

Fold in flour in two addition with the milk mixture.  Fold to combine.

Pour batter into the pan slowly, using the toothpick, draw lines across to burst any bubbles if any.  Gently drop pan to remove more bubbles.

Bake at 170°C for 45 - 50 mins or when a toothpick comes out clean.  Once cooked, remove from oven and gently drop the pan a few times to prevent shrinkage.  

Remove from pan and once cool enough to handle.  Wrap it in baking paper and cling wrap it.

Let it cool in the fridge overnight.

Cut the edge off and slice cake accordingly.

Enjoy with a cup of matcha tea is the best.


Tata


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by. Thanks.