Monday 20 March 2023

Salt Baked Fish

My son ate this Baked Salt Baked Fish in BKK and liked it so he requested it a few weeks ago but due to an error, this request had to wait till now.    

This is my first attempt, and despite it being such an easy recipe but I had some blunders along the way.  First I did not know where to get the coarse salt as the supermarket near my house does not carry them.  Next, I had the fish descale.  Thirdly, not too sure it is the right coarse salt as mine doesn't seem to brown even after 30 mins.  Is there a different kind of coarse salt?    

Overall, glad it passed the taste and texture test but I need to work on the presentation aspect.

Now that I know where to buy this coarse salt, getting this dish on the table will be easier.  Already had in mind my next recipe will be one that my late grandma cooked for us.  I know I won't be able to replicate her as her recipe went with her to heaven.


Learning: I need to make sure my fish is fully drained after I clean the guts and trim it.  Might have to grind the salt a little finer so that I can form the mound.  

Also while removing the crust, the salt scattered all over.  My crust seems not hard enough.  Also, my son commented that the one he ate had a thinner crust.  

Will try again because the taste and texture are good.

What you need:
Serve: 4 pax

2 pcs seabass with scales, remove guts and gills
20 tbsp coarse sea salt
2 egg whites

8 slices of ginger
4 stalks lemongrass, bruised

Method:

Preheat oven to 180℃.  Lined a baking pan with parchment paper.  

Wash and pat dry the fish.

Stuff lemongrass and ginger into the gut area.

Mix salt with egg white to form a paste.  

Spread a layer of salt on the baking pan.  Place the fish on it and spread the salt paste all over the fish, pressing the paste onto the fish and ensuring that it is sealed well with the salt paste.

Put into the oven and bake for 30 mins.  (mine took 45 mins)

Let the fish rest for 5 mins before removing the crust.

Serve.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by. Thanks.