Friday 8 February 2013

Kuih Loyang / Kuih Rose / Honeycomb Cookies

Since I am doing deep frying, I decided to attempt another recipe that I have been eyeing for a long time. 

I love honeycomb cookie and that is why I have the mould but unfortunately, many years ago, when I attempted one, I failed miserably.  It must be at least 16 years ago!

With today's technology, I chanced upon another recipe that sums up my courage.  



(yield 40-50pcs)

What you need:

400ml coconut milk
200g plain flour
200g rice flour
2 large eggs
170g sugar
200ml water
½ tsp salt
4 tbsp toasted white sesame seed
Oil for deep frying (I used vegetable oil)

Method

Combine coconut milk, eggs, sugar, water, and salt in a mixing bowl and mix until sugar is dissolved.

Sift plain flour and rice flour into the mixture. Whisk until it is lump-free. 

Heat up oil in a wok/saucepan on medium heat.

Preheat brass moulds in the hot oil, about 2-3 minutes. (The moulds have to be hot enough for the batter to cling on them)

Dip the hot mould into the batter. Make sure batter coats only up to the rim of the mould and not over it.

Slowly lift it up and dip mould in hot oil. Shake to release from mould and fry until golden brown on both sides.

Take it out from hot oil, and let it drain.

Repeat until all batter is used up.

Store in air-tight containers once cooled. 

Verdict: It is very fragrant and it is crispy enough.  



Have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by. Thanks.