Wednesday 30 October 2013

Economy Bee Hoon

I saw someone cooked Economy Bee Hoon in a FB group and that brought back childhood memory.

My mom used to buy this and serve it as breakfast.  Over time, we no longer eat this.  Actually I also don't know why. 

Thus today, instead of breakfast, I served it as lunch for my kids.  Showing them my culinary world when I was young.

I guess it was not the bee hoon that they were interested in but rather the luncheon meat and sunny side egg.

Talking about frying bee hoon, I used to have so much trouble getting the taste right.  Either it is bland or it will end up too salty.  All these changed when I pre prepared a bowl of water/stock, seasoned with oyster sauce, pepper, light soya sauce and dark soya sauce.  From this bowl, I was able to gauge the taste of my bee hoon.  So far, this method never fail.  



I used to love crispy ikan bilis until I saw how the cook prepared them and I swore off it.  They don't wash the sun dried ikan bilis.  They just add everything into hot oil and fry.  Yucks!

What I do now is, rinsed the ikan bilis (partly to get rid of some salt and dirt), zap it in the microwave for 2 mins (1 min interval).  Let it cool and then deep fried it.  In fact, I didn't even deep fry, I just used a good splash of oil, enough to semi cover the ikan bilis.  These turned out so crispy and with a hint of garlicy taste.

Have fun!


What you need:

1 pkt of bee hoon
1 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tbsp soya sauce
1/2 tbsp dark soya
1/2 tsp salt 
white pepper
1 tsp sesame oil
Minced garlic
1 cup of water (adjust accordingly)

Method:

Soak bee hoon with water until soft.

Mix all the sauces with water.

Heat oil and sauteed minced garlic until fragrant.

Add in bee hoon and mix.

Add in seasoned water and mixed well with bee hoon.  If not enough, add in more water (depending on how soft you want your bee hoon to be).

Cook bee hoon until soft or until water is all soaked up.  Taste to test, if not salty enough add in more soya sauce or salt.

Serve with fried luncheon meat, fried egg and chicken wings.



13 comments:

  1. I love economy bee hoon and i remember my dad used to fry this at least twice a week as our daily breakfast b4 school or lunch. Till now i still love to have it for breakfast :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ellena you are lucky to have a dad that cooks.

      Delete
  2. indeed.. don't this just bring us down memory lane? breakfast when we used to have during primary or secondary school days... i also totally forgot about having it with ikan bilis! and thanks for the tips as always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahah the ikan bilis was an impromptu coz felt something lacking.

      Delete
  3. Simple yet delicious. Sometimes the simplest dish turns out to be the yummiest dish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I must have luncheon meat and fried egg with my economy fried bee hoon too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an intriguing meal, Edith. I have never seen it before. It does sound interesting though. Glad you found the key to enjoying it your way:)

    Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Louise, this dish is something that most Singaporean grew up with. Try it. Very easy.

      Delete
  6. i love this dish not only for bfast but for lunch and dinner too :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Edith!

    I love economy bee hoon. I have been trying to cook it for some time but cant seem to get it right. Don't see the recipe for some reason on the site?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry that I left it out. It has since been updated. Thanks for dropping by.

      Delete

Thanks for dropping by. Thanks.