Wednesday 25 December 2013

Mutton Briyani

Merry Christmas!  May joy, love, peace and good health embrace you all.



Finally I was able to bring out my Christmas tree and have a little gathering with my loved ones.   For those we were on my Facebook, you knew that I couldn't erect the tree because the stand was misplaced.  I was so closed to ditching the tree and getting a new one.  Somehow, I couldn't shake off that nagging feeling and decided to give it another shot in store room.  I am glad I did as it was repacked into a different box and thus this explained why I couldn't locate it in the first place.  Okay the tree is settled and now the menu.

Since we were only back a week ago, it was a chaotic mess.  You couldn't believe the dust accumulated during this one month, I have to vacuum and mop so many times to be able to get rid of the dusty feel. 

Having to unpack, wash, clean and put everything into place before the celebration and suffering from jet lag didn't help at all.  Thus we opted for something that is easy.  A BBQ!  Break from the tradition but I guess it was the company that matters.

I was also craving for something spicy and added a pot of Mutton Briyani minus the briyani rice to the table.

I am glad it turned out well.  Even my mom was is not able to take spicy food finds this okay.  


If you like it more spice, add in more chilli powder but overall, we love this.

Next time, I will cook a pot of briyani rice to go with it.


Hugs

What you need:

A

1kg mutton, cut into bite size
2 pcs ginger, size of 2 walnut, grated
8 cloves garlic
8 spring mint, only the leaves, crushed
4 large tomatoes, cubed and squashed
4 tbsp chilli powder (you can add more for extra heat)
2.5 tsp coriander powder
2.5 tsp turmeric

Marinate the above with the meat for 1 - 2 hours.


B

8 shallots, slice fine
8 cloves
8 cardamon, crushed
2 stick cinnamon


5 tbsp oil
3 - 3.5 cups water (depending how much gravy you wanted)
20 almond, pounded into paste


Method:

Heat oil and fry B until fragrant.   

Add in marinated meat and continue to fry until meat are slight cooked on the outside.

Add in water, cover and boil.  Stirring occassionally.  

When liquid is reduced by half, lower heat and continue to cook until gravy thicken.  

Add in almond paste and continue to cook until it is very thick.  

2 comments:

  1. Hi Edith, merry belated Christmas! The briyani looks so delicious! I hope I can try out this dish one day, thank you for sharing! Happy new year to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is one dish my family truly love! thanks for putting this up Edith! hugs!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. Thanks.