Sunday 22 June 2014

Seafood Pie

My family love this Seafood Pie.  As for me, this is easy to put together and I can prepare it in stages and in advance so I that I don't have to stand long hours.

My pinched nerve from the slipped disc is acting up again.  I was awake all night with cramps attack.  This cramp is not like those that I get when I was young.  This cramp, I cannot flex my muscle at all and it will leave me with swollen calf for two days.  The feeling is like someone take a hammer and smash into your leg.  

I actually regretted going for the operation 9 years ago because this is the side effect I have to bear for the rest of my life.  If I cannot tolerate it, doctor said the alternative is to take steroid.  Now do you think I will believe him again after heeding his advice to go for the operation?

Anyway enough of my sob story.  

If you like seafood, I strongly recommend you try this recipe.



What you need:

Topping

600g potatoes
50g butter 
2½ tbsp fresh or evaporated milk 
¾ tsp salt 
½ tsp white pepper

Filling

500g fish fillet (use sole, red snapper or any other white –fleshed fish) 
1 cup milk 
1 tbsp lemon OR lime juice 
1 tbsp butter, soften

Sauce

100g prawns, peeled and de-veined 
50g butter 
2 tbsp plain flour 
1 cup milk 
2 hard-boiled eggs, shelled and sliced 
3 tbsp chopped fresh parsley 
1 tbsp capers, drained, optional 
¼ tsp salt

Method

To make topping, boil unpeeled potatoes in saucepan of water for 20 -30 mins till very very soft; peel. Mash peeled potatoes with butter, milk, salt and pepper. Set aside.

Cut fish into bit size and place in a shallow dish with the 1 cup milk and 1 tablespoon lemon juice. Stir in the softened butter and bake in a pre-heated 180ºC for 15 to 20 minutes till cooked. Retain juices.

To make Sauce, melt butter over Medium Heat, add flour and stir-fry for 1 minute.

Add milk, the fish juices, salt and prawns; stir-fry till prawns are cooked and sauce is thick.

Add caper and hard-boiled eggs.

Add fish and stir so that seafood mixture is well mixed.

Cool seafood mixture in a medium-sized pie dish, then place in the freezer for about 15 minutes to firm up texture. (This makes it easier to spread the potato topping over it)

Remove seafood mixture and spread mashed potato over it. Smooth potato topping with the back of a spoon and using a fork, form patterns on it. 

Bake in a pre-heated oven 180ºC for about 20 minutes till potato topping is golden brown.  




I am submitting this to Bake-Along No 62 with the theme Savoury Pie/ Tart, hosted by Zoe from Bake for Happy Kids, Joyce from Kitchen Flavours and Lena from Frozen wings  (oops I missed the dateline again)


Photobucket

I am also linking this post to Little Thumbs up with the June theme “Butter”, organized by Doreen from my little favourite DIY and Zoe from Bake for Happy Kids, hosted by Jozelyn from Spice Up My Kitchen at this post.
 Photobucket

12 comments:

  1. Oh Edith! So sorry to hear about those night time cramps. I am only recently starting to feel better from this shoulder.

    Your Seafood Pie sounds yummy. That sauce for it sounds even better. I love the addition of eggs! Thank you so much for sharing, Edith...

    and yes, you are invited to the Picnic Game and you are bringing the letter N! Thank you:) It's going to be such FUN!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the concern Louise, I didn't get the cramp attack last night so I think I am okay now. I too am suffering from a bad shoulder since last Dec. Was told that by swinging your hands for 1000 times, it will get well. So now I am trying this exercise.

      Delete
  2. Hi, Edith, I am so sorry to hear that you have to bear the pain...May god bless you!

    Thanks for your link up with LTU!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jozelyn for the concern, my cramp is gone now so I am happy.

      Delete
  3. now i have never tried seafood pie... but this sounds too luscious... can i try one of yours ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Edith didnt know you got a new blog. so sorry to hear you are suffering from the pain, may be you can check with Irene of myme as she has this prob too and now she seem getting better. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi hi Jess, yes have it for a year now. Too much pain from the old blog so now I only focus on FOOD and not parenthood. I think this is better.

      My injury is a side effect from the slipped disc operation and accordingly to my doc, NO CURE.

      Delete
  5. Hello Edith, your seafood pie baked with mash potato looks yummy. May bake small portion for my teens.
    Any side effects from injury may be a prolonged problem that one will need to endure and embrace with. You take yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try it and let me know whether your teens like it.

      Delete
  6. Edith...sorry to hear the pain that you have to bear. Please take care and rest as much as you can. Don't overworked with housework too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. Thanks.