Friday 8 August 2014

Cendol

I never like coconut milk so Cendol was never my favourite until I ate Cendol in Malacca.  Back then, it was an old man with a push cart just next to the canal.

Ever since then, I become more adventurous to try it and sharing one glass/bowl with hubby will be just enough for me.

After I had a disappointing one that was highly recommended by a food blogger.  To me, that was nothing to shout out.  The gula melaka flavour was not evident at all and as for the cendol, personally, I tasted nothing special.  

The conclusion, this blogger's recommendation and mine is not on the same wave length.  I have tried his recommended Prawn Noddle and that I found it disappointing as well.  The prawn noddle stall is no longer in operation by the way.

Since I have a pack of hoon kwee powder that will expire soon, I don't think I should waste it and decided to make a batch on my own cendol to see whether it was that difficult to replicate.



Finding: To be honest, it is super easy and because I used fresh coconut milk and good gula melaka,  the taste is really good. 


I don't like the texture of this cendol recipe though, it is rather soft and perhaps I should reduce the liquid.

If you have a good one to share with me, do let me know.  

In the meantime, it is back to the search.
  
What you need:

50g hoon kwee powder
40g rice flour
10g tapioca flour
½ tsp salt
3 tbsp sugar

625ml pandan water (blend 100g pandan leaves, 50g sugi leaves with 650ml water)

Ice cold water
Cendol mould, I used a noodle sieve


Coconut milk

125ml of coconut milk
¼ tsp salt
4 pandan leaves

Simmer in low heat until coconut milk warmed up.  Set aside.

Gula Melaka syrup

125g gula melaka
125ml water
3 pandan leaves

Boil until gula melaka dissolved.  Set aside.

Method:

Place 500ml pandan water in a pot.

Add the dry ingredients in the remaining 125ml pandan water, mixing it slowly and until it become a smooth liquid.  Strain.

Add into the 500ml pandan water and add in alkaline water.  Set aside for ½ hour.

Now cook the flour mixture, stirring constantly until it forms a thick paste.  Remove.

Set a basin of ice cold water with a cendol mould over it.  

Put cooked dough over it and using a ladle, push cooked dough onto the ice water.

Drain cendol.

To serve, put a ladle of gula melaka syrup in a serving glass, add cendol and shaved ice.  

Ladle a generous amount of coconut milk over it and serve immediately.


Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by. Thanks.