Thursday 4 September 2014

Baked Custard Mooncake

I was really curious about this Baked Custard Moon cake when I saw Bake for Happy Kids baking it.  Though I have this book, but I never attempted any of her recipes.  

Not too sure about you, but very often I am taken in by the photos rather than the recipes and will feel contended just by browsing it.



Findings: I didn't have very good experience with this recipe.  The dough was really soft even though I chilled it for an hour.

I couldn't mould it nicely as the dough sticks to the mould even though I dusted it lightly.  I had to rechill the raw mooncake to firm up before moulding. Done a few tries, only then I managed to get the hang of it with the right amount of dusting. 

Was happy to see the nice imprint on the moon cake but my joy was short lived as the imprint became vague and out of shape after baking.

My learning curve: After viewing some videos after that, I realised that it is best to knead while the custard is still warm.  And I have to ensure that the custard is compact as you can see that there are "bubble space". 

I have quite a fair bit of pastry left after this.  Next time, I think I either increased the custard portion or decrease the pastry portion.

Overall, the taste is very good.  The crust has this short crust buttery taste, the custard is just the sweetness we like.  

I will definitely reattempt this recipe again.

Source: Choong Su Yin, Bake for Happy Kids and Sassy Haven


Custard Fillings ( makes about 300g)



25g Butter, soften
60g Caster Sugar
3 Egg Yolks, roughly beaten
1 tbsp condensed milk
25g cream
56g coconut milk
20g plain flour
15g custard powder
10g tapioca flour

Methods:

Beat butter and sugar until light and combined.


Add egg yolks one at at ime and beat until combined.


Add in condensed milk, cream and coconut milk.


Sift flour mixture into the egg yolk mixture and mix till combined.


Pour the mixture to a container and steam over medium heat for 25 mins with stirring every 5 mins.


Set aside for mixture to cool.


Knead mixture until smooth. Wrap custard in cling wrap and chill in fridge until required.

Mixture can be kept in the fridge up to a week before baking.



Mooncake Pastry
Yield : 24 mini mooncakes

What you need:

100g butter, softened
30g shortening
90g icing sugar
1 egg, roughly beaten
220g plain flour
35g custard powder
¼ tsp baking powder

Methods:

Cream butter, shortening and sugar until light and fluffy.

Add beaten egg gradually and beat until combined.

Sift flour, custard powder and baking powder into the butter mixture until incorporated.

Using your hand, mix mixture together and combine them to form a dough.

Wrap dough with cling wrap and let it rest in fridge for at least 1hour.

Divide dough portion according to the mooncake mould size.

Press dough into mould and press firmly to form the shape.

Remove and place on baking tray.

Brush with a tin layer of egg wash.

Bake ate 160°C  for 25 minutes.

Egg Wash:


1 egg yolk
1 tbsp milk


Note: I used 50% of pastry and 50% fillings



I'm joining Best Recipes for Everyone : (August 2014 Event: Mooncake) hosted by XuanHom's Mon Kitchen Diary


6 comments:

  1. Hi Edith,I had bookmarked this recipe,but I think I unable to make it this year
    Thank for joining my Best Recipes event,my next theme would be~Chocolate,welcome to join ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fion looking forward to your next years selection.

      Delete
  2. Edith , so many mooncakes to make so little time :D I'm eyeing Zoe's mooncake as well but will try only the custard , hopefully , I can do it before the Mid-Autumn . Anyway , I've posted my chocolate snowy mooncake and yeah , your snow skin recipe is fantastic ! Thanks again for it .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne, this year I was way too lazy. Do try Zoe's custard mooncake, it is nice. I think you can do that even though it is not Mid Autumn Festival. Thanks for trying the chocolate snowskin. I will have to make them after the Mid Autumn as my son complain that he didn't have enough of snowskin moonies this year.

      Delete
  3. mmm, thanks for the detailed information... it truly helps if i bake this in the future.. enjoy reading all your tips.. please keep it going

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vic, you are the master. I should be the one learning from you.

      Delete

Thanks for dropping by. Thanks.