Wednesday 17 December 2014

Yuzu Curd

During my last trip to Japan, I was desperately looking out for Yuzu.  Unfortunately I came home empty handed.  

When M from Dreamer Loft offers to bring these rare gems home for me, I quickly took up her offer.



I never seen Yuzu, least to hold one on hand.  I was so amazed by the fragrance this grumpy looking citrus gives out.  I must say the smell was unbelievable beautiful .  

Despite its size, the seeds were amazingly big and many.  Yuzu is known not to be plump and juicy but I didn't expect it to be so little.  With 6 yuzus, I only managed out 94g of juice.    

Initially I wanted to make yuzu sorbet as I had tasted some really wonderful ones during my recent Hokkaido trip but unfortunately I realized that there was some typo error to the recipe that I wanted to try from.  So I turned my attention to Yuzu Curd instead. 

I have tasted yuzu curd that my friend, D made for one of those macaroon session we had last year .... eeer was it this year?  and it was delicious.



Anyway, according to M from Dreamer's Loft, Yuzu is available only in Nov - Jan.  So if you can get hold of some, try it and will be nice to give this out as Christmas gift.

During this period, you might also want to check out Japanese supermarket or Cold Storage as D managed to buy from there.

For me, until I find yuzu in Singapore, I am going to keep this bottle for myself.




This post is linked to Cook and Celebrate (Christmas 2014)
organised by Yen from Eat your heart out, Diana from Domestic Goddess Wannabe and Zoe from Bake for Happy Kids.



and I decided to join this month



Source: Modified from Cake Bible

What you need:

4 egg yolks
125g castor sugar
58g butter
94g yuzu juice
4g yuzu zest

Method:

Whisk egg yolks with castor sugar until well combined.

Add in soften butter and yuzu juice.

On med low heat, stir mixture until thickens.  Do not boil.  Once it thickens and able to pass the wooden spoon test.  

Remove and strain into a sterlised container.

Stir in the zest and wait until it cool before capping.

Store in fridge.






5 comments:

  1. Hi Edith,

    Being citrus, I know that yuzu will be in season during winter... but never try a yuzu before. I wonder if there is any difference between yuzu, lemon or orange.

    Your yuzu curd looks good :D

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  2. yuzu curd sounds fresh and new from the normal lemon curd... i like this refreshing tweak...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so tempted to do this now. Thanks for sharing and giving this idea. Was also thinking how to use my two yuzus... Heehee... Have a wonderful X'mas and a happy new year too! All the best for your daughter's secondary school posting tomorrow! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Edith,
    I have never tried yuzu before, have always wanted to! Making them into curd sounds really good.
    it's nice to have you linking with CYB! Looking forward to your links in the coming year! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Edith! What a great idea. You can use this to fill so many things!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. Thanks.