Monday 18 February 2013

Braised Pork Belly

My kids and hubby love Braised Pork Belly.  Thus this dish is often served in my house.

When VA and her hubby came for a visit.  I decided to cook this dish for them as I can prepared this in advance.  I need to spaced out the time that I am on my feet as I have been standing too much of late.

Later on I realised that pork belly is hard to come by in the States.  What a coincidence.

I also added in tau pok and eggs to it which my kids loved.  Am happy that this goes well with my guests.






What you need:

1.5 kg of pork belly with skin
2" long knob of ginger, peeled, sliced thinly and but into thin slices, lengthwise
1½  tbsp Five Spice powder
3 cloves of garlic, smashed
2 tbsp cooking oil
2 tbsp dark soy sauce
3 tbsp soy sauce (plus more to taste)
1 piece of cinnamon stick, 2" in length
3 star anise
5 cloves
A small bunch of cilantro leaves for garnish.

Method:

Use a large dutch oven or heavy pot big enough to lay the pork belly inside.

Heat up the oil, then add the ginger and garlic. Then add the five spice powder and other spices. Cook for about 2 minutes until fragrant.

Then add the pork, skin side down over the garlic and spices. Add enough water to completely cover the belly and a bit more. Add the dark and light soy sauce.

Put the lid on the pot and turn the heat up to high and bring the pot to a boil. Skim any foamy scum from the top. Then, open the lid slightly, and let simmer over low heat for at least 3 hours (skim occasionally) or until the pork is falling off the bone tender.

Once the belly is ready, remove it from the pot. Then reduce the sauce to a thick, caramel like consistency.

To serve, warm back the pork belly. Slice it thinly and lay on a plate. Drizzle the gravy and garnish with sprigs of cilantro.

Note: you can add on tau pok and hard boiled eggs during the simmering time.

4 comments:

  1. Braised Pork Belly is always one of my favourite dish despite of those "fats" :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha.... those fats are my girl's treasure. She is always looking at our plates for those skin and fats!

      Delete
  2. I LOVE braised pork belly :D Your version looks scrumptious ! With all the spices that you've added , I just can imagine the taste *drool*

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. Thanks.