Wednesday 7 August 2013

American Carrot Cake

I have been craving for American Carrot Cake for a week.  I guess I had such a lousy one at CB the other day that actually spark off my craving to bake one. 

These days, looking at the prices of bakes in cafes or bakeries give me a shudder.  If it is a quality piece of pastry, I seriously don't mind paying but to get a pieces of inferior product at that price really ruin the excitement of having desserts.

When I complained about the ridiculous pricing, hubby always consoled me that these bakeries need to pay for operating costs and that is why they have to fix their prices so.  Well hubby is always so positive.

I definitely don't want to be at the mercy of these entrepreneurs to get my fix of sugar high.  After all, it isn't difficult to bake one to begin with.

Looking back, I have not baked a whole cake for nearly half a year or more. Hubby was relatively surprised that I did.  Well maybe this indicates that it is time to once again play with my fondant but I think I need a few more practise to reconnect as I am losing touch with frosting a cake now.


Seriously, nothing beats home made.



What you need: 

250ml vegetable oil 
150g brown sugar 
3 eggs 
363g coarsely grated carrot (approx 4 large carrots) 

120g coarsely chopped walnuts 
375g self raising flour 
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda 
2 tsp mixed spice 

Method:

Preheat oven to 180 °C.  Greased and lined a 2X7" round pan. 

Sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda and mixed spice. 

Whisk eggs and sugar on MED till thick and creamy. (Use the ribbon test to check the consistency). 

Fold in the oil. 

Fold in the carrot, walnuts and then the dry ingredients. 

Pour mixture into prepared pan and bake for 25 – 30 mins or till cooked. Test using skewer. If the top is browning too fast, cover it loosely with foil. 

Stand cake in pan for 5 minutes before turning onto wire rack. Cool on rack. 

Cream Cheese Frosting

What you need:

60g butter 
160g cream cheese 
4 tsp finely grated lemon zest 
240g icing sugar 

Method:

Cream butter, cream cheese and lemon zest till light and fluffy. (Use the spatula to test the right consistency). 

Gradually add in the icing sugar. Cream till smooth. 

Cover the top of the cooled carrot cupcake with the frosting. 

Sprinkle with coarsely chopped walnuts. 




Now I am a happy woman.  Join me.

12 comments:

  1. Yup... totally agree, Edith - Nothing beats home made!

    Delicious looking carrot cake you had made there! :D

    Not only can you cook, you can bake very well too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you are a great cook and baker as well. Plus you can drink! I like.

      Delete
  2. same here, there are a few new cafe outlets opened recently here and they charged which i think very expensive for a piece of cake..your hubby is right too, we are also paying for the cafe ambience, environment..etc :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually if they give quality product, I will still pay but not for some shitty food.

      Delete
  3. now these makes my tummy rumble ^__^

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Edith, the carrot cake looks moist and delicious! Nowadays I stop buying pastries from cafes too because I can never be sure whether it is delicious or not!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What kind of tin and sizes you are using? Sometimes I'm confuse whether to use round tin, square or rectangular.
    Thank you.

    Crazy Baker

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My apologies, coz the previous time I baked this was in a muffin tray. I have since amended it to 7" round.

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much :)

      Delete

Thanks for dropping by. Thanks.