Saturday 7 June 2014

Meyer lemon curd

I have never tried Meyer Lemon before and I was eager to try.  I heard it is good and tasted nicer than the usual lemon, less tart.  A hybrid between lemon and orange.  Thus I seriously regretted not buying them when I was in Canada two years ago.  It was dirt cheap.

I did try looking for it in Singapore as I heard it was in season but I gave up after several trips to different supermarkets.  Just when it was forgotten, I spotted it in the supermarket while getting our milk and oats.

The lemon was tiny and cute, it has a soft smooth skin unlike the usual lemon that we used to.  When I saw the pricing, I wanted to put it back, for S$7/7 pcs, I hesitated but hubby said that since I wanted it, just buy it.

With so many activities happening of late, these babies laid in my fridge and was nearly forgotten.  Didn't want those precious to turn bad and thus, I made Meyer Lemon Curd.

This curd recipe is good as it used up the two whole egg instead of just egg yolks.

Trust me, I just couldn't stop licking my spoon.  It was soooo good!  

Now I will see what I can pair this yummilious curd with soon.



Source: No Recipe.

What you need:

113g unsalted butter
153g sugar
3 Meyer lemons, zested
130g Meyer lemon juice
2 extra large eggs, separated

Method:

Place butter into a heavy bottomed saucepan over low heat and let it melt. Once it’s mostly melted turn off the heat.

In a medium bowl, add the sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice, and egg whites. Use an egg beater or whisk to thoroughly combine the ingredients.

Once the butter becomes lukewarm temperature, add the egg yolks and whisk the butter and egg yolks together until the mixture has emulsified and is uniform in color.

Use a fine mesh sieve to strain the lemon juice mixture into the butter mixture, pressing on the solids to extract the flavor from the lemon zest.

Stir to combine, then turn the stove on to low heat.  Heat the mixture continuously stirring with a silicone spatula to keep the curd from scorching to the bottom of the pot.

The curd is done when it's reached the consistency of gravy and coats the spatula. It will be about 80ºC.

Chill the pot in a cold water bath, the curd should get thicker as it chills.  

Transfer the lemon curd to an airtight container. The lemon curd will last for 2 weeks in the fridge.


This post is also linked to the event, Little Thumbs up organised by Doreen from my little favourite DIY and me, Bake for Happy Kids, hosted by Jozelyn from Spice Up My Kitchen at this post.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Edith! Thanks for linking up with LTU, looking forward for more link up from you.
    I've never seen Meyer Lemon in Malaysia yet but the normal lemon selling here is about RM1 per piece but of course if your meyer lemon is converted to RM, it is a bit on the high side. By the way, nice lemon curd. Sometimes, the self satisfaction on the food is much more important than any other things! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. Thanks.