Wednesday 9 December 2015

Hampton Fruit Cake

I am not a fan of fruit cake but I once ate F's Hampton Fruit cake, it changed my mind.  Ever since then, this is my favourite fruit cake and I have been baking this for nearly past 10 Christmases, that is whenever we are in town.

It is not cloyingly sweet or it is dry.  I personally find it a good balance.  A friend who is like me who don't fancy fruit cake, liked this version as well.

Though this year, we are not in town but I really wanted to bake this for I fear I will lost touch with it.

Once again, it didn't disappoint.



What you need

Soak overnight in 50ml of rum:

200g raisins
200g currants
150g mixed peel
50g glaced cherries

Melt:

250g butter
250g sugar
Mixed in 4 eggs, one at a time when butter is slightly cool.

Sift together

350g sifted flour
1 tsp baking powder
a pinch of salt
¼ tsp each of ground cardamon, cinnamon, coriander, clove, nutmeg and ginger

50g nuts
grated skin of one lemon
grated skin of one orange

Method


Add flour to butter mixture, a little at a time. Mix well.

Add fruit mixture to the batter. 

Add in your favourite nuts and grated skin of lemon and orange.

Bake for 1.5 hours at 150°C.

Drizzle a little brandy over the cake for the next 3 days.  Keep in air tight container.

Note: This cake needs time to mature, thus it is advisable to bake this 1 or 2 weeks before giving out as gift.


I am pleased to submit to Cook and Celebrate: Christmas 2015 event.  


Organized by Yen from GoodyFoodies, Diana from The Domestic Goddess Wannabe and Zoe from Bake for Happy Kids.


Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by. Thanks.