Thursday 14 January 2016

Poffertjes (with sour cream)

Despite getting a little shock over the year end hols, everything ended well.  Thanks so much for all your concerns via Whatsapp, emails and messenger. Your words of encouragement and well wishes really touched me.

A rather delayed HAPPY NEW YEAR to you all.

Anyway, 2016 begins a new chapter, this year it is also a big milestone for me.  I hope that going forward, I will embrace more happy events and live a more positive thinking life and be surrounded by happy people and happy thoughts.

To kick start my 2016 first blog post, here is this Poffertjes.

This snack was first introduced to me by my ex colleagues during last year's gathering at Garden by The Bay.

There he highly recommended that we must try the Poffertjes.  I have never heard about this nor eaten one so I was really curious.

It turn out so awesome that we actually had three servings in the end!  It is light and delicious!

When I got home, I was so into it that I went round asking for the recipe.  Then C told me that we can actually buy it in Singapore.   I couldn't have it then and there because I need to place S$50 for it to deliver and I have no intention to load up my fridge at this point of time.

The traditional ones is actually with buckwheat but I have no time to hunt them down to get it.  Anyway, after eating the ones at the Garden by The Bay, my friend and I concluded that it is just plain flour.  Thus I am testing out this recipe to see whether this is close.

Thanks to my dear friend A, she was able to help me to translate a video I saw which I think will match the ingredients.


Findings: These little pancake were light and fluffy.  I should have added more sugar to the whipped butter.

Next round, I will minus out the cinnamon powder from the whipped butter too.

Is this close to what I ate? I should say it is about 70% but I will try out other recipes to see whether I can match the closest.

What you need:

300g milk
7g yeast
1 egg
15g sugar
pinch of salt
100g sour cream
200g plain flour
50g melted butter

Method:

In a big bowl, whisk gently the milk, yeast, egg, sugar, salt, sour cream together.

Add in the flour and whisk until it is smooth.

Pour in warm melted butter and mix well.

Cover with tea tower and spray some water over it.  Let it sit for 1 hour.

Using a whisk, stir gently to deflate and mix well.  Then pour into a piping bottle.

Butter cream

300g butter, room temp
a pinch of ginger powder
a pinch of cinnamon powder
1 stick of vanilla bean


Method:

Beat butter until it is fluffy.

Add ginger powder and cinnamon powder.

Next add in vanilla bean.

Beat again to combine.



Now I am sure many of you are busy baking up a storm for this forthcoming CNY.  As for me, I will be busy eating my way through this month, many meet ups and catch up and celebrations.

Well I ain't complaining about my expanded waist line afterall Singapore has a year long celebration on her SG50.  For me, I am simply just happy to have a month long one.



Wishing you all a Healthy year ahead that is filled with good laugh, good company and good food.


Salute!




5 comments:

  1. What an interesting snack, Edith. I don't think I have ever heard of Poffertjes. Now I am going to need to do a bit of research. In the mean time, I''l be just gazing at your lovely creations:)

    Thank you so much for sharing, Edith...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was my first time too and let's exchange recipe if you found something better.

      Delete
  2. Hi Edith
    Happy New Year to you ! You never fail to intrigue me with new interesting recipes. I've not tasted Poffertjes. Thanks for sharing and hope to try out one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen me too, it was my first time after a friend highly recommended it.

      Delete
  3. Is a typical Dutch pancake..sadly to say, without the buckwheat flour, it taste a lots different! >.< This is light and tempting snack for all age!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. Thanks.