Thursday 3 November 2016

Easy Baguette (straight dough)

I love baguette especially when eaten with curry or stew.   Since I injured my wrist, I need to find a bread recipe that don't have to do much kneading.  For I am afraid that my Kitchenaid Artisan will overheat again as I always finished off by hand knead.  

I bookmarked this Easy Baguette recipe that was shared by FF over in a FB group some months back.  Am happy that I finally get a chance to strike off from my to bake list.


Findings: It is crusty as a baguette but hub finds the bread a little dense.   I had a feeling that the 2nd rest was not done properly even after 35mins of proofing.  (not sure whether it is due to the weather)

I had the dough on knead for 12 mins on machine and continue by hand and have a little issue forming it into a ball.

I will try again as I like the taste of this bread.

What you need:
Yield 2 small baguettes

250g bread flour, plus extra for dusting
5g salt
2g instant yeast
180ml water ( lukewarm )

Method 

In a mixing bowl, fitted with a dough hook, combine flour, salt, yeast and 160ml of the water (The remaining 20ml will be used later)

On a slow speed, gradually adding the rest of the water (20ml). Increase the speed to medium and mix until smooth dough.

Form into a round ball and place onto a oiled bowl, cover with cling wrap and leave the dough to proof for one to two hours or until more than double in size.

Remove the dough and on a very lightly floured counter. Punch down the dough and divide the dough in two.

Roll the dough into a baguette shape.

Place on a large baking tray with baking paper, cover with a tea towel and leave to proof until it has doubled in size.

Preheat the oven to 220°C (no fan).  When the oven is hot, put a roasting dish in the bottom of the oven and pour in some hot water to create some steam (this will help form the crust).

Just before baking, slash the top of each baguette three times to four times with a sharp knife.

Bake the baguettes for 20 minutes. Then drop the temperature to 200°C and continue to bake for another 10 minutes.

The baked baguettes should be golden-brown and have a slight sheen to them. Put them on a rack to cool completely. 


Enjoy your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by. Thanks.