Wednesday 2 November 2016

Kentucky Butter Cake

I love bundt pan but it is so hard to store them due to the different design.  The naked cake always turned out so pretty.  Good for me as I am lousy in cake decorating.  Guess it is time to bring out my bundt pan that has been patiently sitting in the cupboard.


I have promised to bake a butter cake for some friends.

Under my "to bake" list, I have one unique cake listed.  It is Kentucky Butter Cake.  hahaha....  initially I thought it has something to do with Kentucky Fried Chicken company!

Well actually, this recipe was from Pillsbury Bake off contest held back in 1963 and originated by Nell Lewis.  What a history to this cake.

I have changed the method of baking it as this is my first time baking this recipe so I am not confident.  It will be a pity if I have to bin this cake as I am using a Dutch butter that my Indonesian friend swear by it.


Findings: Totally luscious!  The texture is soft and velvety.  Moist and flavourful.  I strongly suggest using a good butter for this.

Definitely a keeper!

What you need:

Cake

363 plain flour 
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
225g butter, cubed at room temperature
200g castor sugar
4 eggs
1 tbsp vanilla essence
1 cup buttermilk
1 tbsp rum

Butter Glaze

75g butter
150g castor sugar
2 tbsp water
1 tbsp rum 

Method:

Preheat the oven to 165°C

Generously grease a 10" bundt pan with butter or shortening and then dust the pan with flour and set aside.

Sift all dry ingredient.  Set aside.

Beat butter with sugar until fluffy and light.  

Beat in egg one at a time.  

Beat in vanilla essence.

Alternate flour mixture with buttermilk to the egg batter until batter is smooth.

Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 65-75 minutes until a toothpick entered into the center comes out clean.

Prepare glaze.

Combine all ingredients except rum into a small saucepan over medium-low heat.

Stir continuously until the butter is melted and the sugar is dissolved. Do not bring to a boil.

Turn off heat and add in rum.

Approximately after cake removed from oven for about 5 mins.  Poke holes all over the warm cake using a wooden disposable chopstick.  (Best with tamper ends) and pour the glaze evenly on the cake while still in the pan.

Allow the cake to cool completely in the pan and rest cake overnight to allow flavour to develop.

Remove cake from pan and serve.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing this divine butter cake. I am going to bookmark for later.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. Thanks.