Friday 13 October 2017

Air baked Otah bun 窝咑餐包 (Tangzong Method)

My family loves the Otah that is near my place and every time when I passed by that area, I will buy for the family.  Seems like the prices went up again, perhaps it is time for me to learn how to make them.

I have done an otah bun using straight dough method and so today I shall try Otah bun 窝咑餐包 (Tangzong Method).



Learning experience: 

The buns are so soft and fluffy even the next day!

I made these into tiny buns based on 42g dough and 1 piece otah.

Definitely a keeper.

What you need: 

25g bread flour
62g milk
62g water

350g bread flour
30g sugar
65g egg
5g milk powder
125g milk
120g tangzhong
1 tsp yeast
35g unsalted butter
1½ tsp salt

Glaze: beaten egg

Method:

Combine bread flour, milk and water and cook until mixture thickens. Stirring continuously.  Set aside to cool.

Combine 350g bread flour, sugar, egg, milk powder, milk, tangzhong, yeast and salt.

Knead until dough is smooth.

Add in butter and knead until pass window pane stage.

Shape into a ball and let it proof until double in size.

Degas and divide dough into balls.

Wrap in otah and shape into a ball. 

Place in a greased tin and let it proof for 40 mins.

Glaze the bun with beaten eggs.

Bake at 180°C for 20 mins.  Air fryer @ 170°C for 11 mins.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by. Thanks.