Thursday 12 July 2018

Crispy Shrimp Paste Chicken Wing (脆皮虾酱鸡翅)

During a recent eat out, we did not have good experience for my kids' favourite 虾酱鸡.  The dish served was pathetic, for S$6.80, we got 4 tiny pieces of greasy and cold chicken wings!  I can tell right away that it is a reheated dish.

So decided to serve this at home and let them eat till heart's content.

Usually, I will just marinate with my golden rule of 1kg wings to 1 heap tbsp shrimp paste.  I did not bother to coat it with flour as this dish will be eaten up before even it gets cold.

Anyway, today I shall try making it as Crispy Shrimp Paste Chicken Wing  (脆皮虾酱鸡翅).


Learning experience: 

I did not find any difference by adding in additional shrimp paste.

I believe the trick is to marinate it longer rather than adding more condiments.

Perhaps next time, I shall try to deep-fry it rather than air bake them which is now my favourite cooking method for this dish.

What you need:

1 kg chicken wings
2 tbsp shrimp paste
1 tbsp sesame oil
1 tbsp cornflour
Plain flour  (coating)

Method:

In a bag, add in shrimp paste, sesame oil and cornflour.  Rub thoroughly.

Add in chicken wings and rub the sauces with the wings.  Seal and chill overnight.

Brush a layer of oil on the wings before air-frying.

Bake at 170°C for 6 mins and turn for another 6 mins or until golden.


Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. Hi! Can you recommend a really good prawn paste or is it boachan? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love shrimp paste chicken wings. Do you use the Lee Kum Kee bottled shrimp paste or belacan that you have to toast?

    Esther

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the correct one should be Lee Kum Kee shrimp paste and NOT belachan.

      Delete

Thanks for dropping by. Thanks.