Monday 9 July 2018

HongKong Egg Tart

My girl loves egg tart and I wish I can do it more often.   I realised that so far, I only attempted one recipe in this blog.

Though I rather like the other recipe filling, I was keen to explore another crust recipe.  So today, I shall attempt another recipe on this HongKong Egg Tart.


Learning experience: 

The crust is nice and buttery.  It is easy to handle as well.

I actually managed to yield 20 pcs from one recipe with a nett weight of 28g.  

I have done two batches.  The first based I actually browned it too much on the crust so I will reduce this 1st bake at 7 mins instead of 10 mins.

Also, I have tested out on air fryer for the final bake and it should be at 165 for 13 mins.

I have brought a batch to a party and the feedback was rather good as well.

So this recipe is a keeper.

Source

Makes about 10-12 egg tarts (3”)

What you need:
Crust

200g plain flour
25g cake flour
125g butter, softened
55g icing sugar
1 egg, whisked
a dash of vanilla extract

Egg Custard:

2 eggs
70g caster sugar
150g hot water
75g evaporated milk
½ tsp vanilla extract

Method (crust):

Cream butter and sugar with mixer over medium speed until the mixture is light and fluffy.

Beat in egg, one at a time.

Add vanilla extract, mix well.

Sift in flour in two batches, and mix until all combined. Knead into dough briefly.

Roll out the dough to a ½ cm thick.

Cut dough with a cookie cutter that is just a bit smaller than your tart tin in size and line dough in the tart tins.  Lightly press to let dough cover the entire mould

Method (custard):

Add sugar into hot water, mix until completely dissolved.

Whisk egg with evaporated milk.

Pour in sugar water. Mix well.
Strain egg mixture into a spouted cup.  Carefully pour egg mixture into each tart shell.

Preheat oven to 200°C.  Set baking tray to the lower third of the oven.  Bake tarts for 7 mins until the edges are lightly brown.  (this temp is based on my oven)

Lower the heat to 180°C.  Keep an eye on them. Once you see the custard being puffed up a bit, pull the oven door open about 2 to 3 inches.

Bake for another 10 to 15 minutes until the custard is cooked through.  (do the toothpick stand test to confirm doneness)


Enjoy!

2 comments:

Thanks for dropping by. Thanks.