Monday 29 July 2019

Taro Milk 芋頭鮮奶

After seeing FT posted her attempt on Taro milk 芋頭鮮奶, I wanted to try it too because I love Taro!

Saw small taro available in the supermarket and I decided that today I shall try it.

Handling Taro must be careful with some people tends to be very sensitive to Saponins juice which is present in yam.  So if you have sensitive skin, do wear a glove when handling.  If you developed rash while handling, try to rub lemon juice or vinegar on your hands.

I normally buy Thai yam as I find the taste better and it is softer and "powdery".  It is rounder and has less "lines"  It is very suitable for making a paste or fillings.

For Malaysia Taro, it is more longish and more lines which is suitable for stew as it is harder.

When choosing yam, look for those that are hard and heavy.

To store yam, do not refrigerate, just wrap it in newspaper and place it on the floor.


Learning experience: 

Next time, to add some colours to this drink, I shall rehydrate some taro powder.

What you need:

150g fresh milk
25g castor sugar
200g cooked yam

Method:

On a non-stick shallow pan, combine milk, sugar and cooked yam.  Roughly mashed the yam with a fork.  (do not overdo so that you will still have some bits to it).

On low heat, mix and stir until it thickens and when draw a line, the yam mixture will take a few secs to come together. 

Once cooked, transfer into a bowl, cling wrap and let it cool.

In a glass, add the yam mixture, spread around the glass.

Pour in cold milk and serve.

Note: you can serve with yam boba too but since I don’t have and am too lazy to make a batch, I am doing without.


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by. Thanks.