Thursday 30 April 2020

Whole wheat Butter and Milk Loaf

Circuit Breaker Day 24

When I saw my gym friend J baked these Butter and Milk loaves using a poolish.  It reminded me of this Wholemeal Country Loaf that I baked before.  That bread also uses the poolish method and it was a good loaf.  So I got interested in this Butter and Milk loaf because I think the texture will be soft.

Since these days, I cannot do my household chores early in the morning as my family members are still in their dreamland, then I have time to make bread instead.


Learning experience: 

The dough is relatively easy to handle.  The only setback, I couldn't know to gauge the weight for my tins.  Nevertheless, both loaves turned out well.

Just like the idea of incorporate wholemeal into our diet.


What you need:
Yield: 2 loaves

Poolish

300g bread flour
200g milk
100g water

2 fingers pinch of yeast

Mix the above until even & set aside to ferment for about 7-8 hrs or until it’s all bubbly. 

Main Dough

300g bread flour
50g whole wheat flour
⅛ tsp yeast
40g milk
1
½ tsp salt
50g sugar
120g unsalted butter
1 large egg (A)
 
Method:

Put all the ingredients in a mixing bowl and roughly mix until combined.

Add in the polish mix and mix until they are roughly combined.

Knead, using a stand mixer, until window pane stage, about 18 to 20 minutes.

Divide the dough into 2 equal halves and shape.

Place in bread pans (8.5x4.5x4.5”) & proof until 1/2" above the rim. Will take a few hours.

Bake at 190°C, on the 2nd level from the bottom for 20 minutes. Move to the bottom level and bake for 20 minutes.  Place a foil over at the last 10 minutes.


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by. Thanks.