Thursday 13 January 2022

Butter Cake (cooked dough method) 烫面牛油蛋糕

The cooked dough method yield really nice bread so when I saw this method applied to the cake, I was sold.

Since I have a tub of precious Indonesian butter, I shall attempt this Butter Cake (cooked dough method) 烫面牛油蛋糕 .


Learning: I divided the batter into 2X5" square pan.  Not sure whether the pan is too small but it cracked!  I suspect it might be too small but then again, the height is what I am looking for.  Next round, I will just increase the height so that the batter has space to "climb".

The cake texture is soft and moist.  It is not what you expect a butter cake to be.  I adapted it into chocolate to entice my son to eat.  


What you need: 

250g salted butter
170g cake flour
30g cocoa powder
6 egg yolks
100ml milk
1 tsp vanilla extract

6 egg whites 
1 tsp lemon juice
130g castor sugar

1 tsp cocoa powder

Method:

Preheat oven to 150℃.  Line an 8” square pan. (I used 2 X 5" square pan), will extend the parchment higher next round.

Sift cake flour and cocoa powder.  Set aside.

Melt the butter in the microwave at 30-sec burst and repeat until butter is dissolved and temp around 62℃.

Immediately pour the flour mixture into the boiled butter.

Whisk until smooth.

Beat in egg yolks until well combined.

Mix in milk and vanilla until fully incorporated and it looks smooth and shiny.

In a clean bowl, whisk egg white until foamy.

Add in lemon juice and slowly add in sugar in 3 additions.

Whisk until stiff peak.

Mix 1/3 of the meringue into the egg batter and mix well.

Pour the egg batter into the meringue and fold well.  

Remove one ladle of the batter and mix in cocoa powder.

Transfer to a piping bag.

Pour the remaining batter into the pan and tap a few times to release big bubbles.

Pipe cocoa batter into lines and using a skewer goes zig zap to create a pattern (refer to video).

Bake for 40 mins or until the cake is cooked.

Transfer and cool on a rack.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by. Thanks.