Wednesday 18 January 2023

Nian Gao (Instant Pot) (2)

Made this last year and loved it.  Unfortunately, I did not document it so this year, I shall do it.

I like Nian Gao but the thought of watching the fire for hours really turned me off.

So when I made this Nian Gao (Instant pot) (2) for Lunar New year and it turned out to be a success.  Friends all like it as it is not sweet.

Since I am craving for more, there is no stopping now as it is so easy to make.  


Learning: The slab sugar I bought, I realised it is really light and thus my nian gao was not dark.  Next time, I must take note of this.

What you need:
yield: 2 

210g slab sugar
350g water
180g Glutinous Rice flour
120g wheat starch
4 pcs pandan leaves

Method:

Finely cut the slab sugar.

In a pot, add the sugar, water, and pandan leaves.  On low heat until sugar dissolves.  Set aside to cool.

In another pan, heat water and blanched the banana leaves.  Wipe dry.

Cut the banana leaves with a 6” round base and the perimeter of the pan double in height.  

Line the pan with banana leaves on the circumference with double the height of the pan fold-down inwards.  Insert the base inside the pan.  Secure with a rubber band.   Brush with oil.  Set aside.

In a mixing bowl, sift glutinous rice flour with wheat starch.

Whisk in the cooled syrup until lump-free.

Sieve the mixture.

Pour the mixture into the pan and cover it with foil securely.

With a skillet at the base, arrange the pans on top with water.

Set to “Steam” for 45 mins, natural release.

  
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by. Thanks.