Wednesday 16 January 2013

Special Curry Chicken (non spicy)

I have been extremely busy nursing my baby sister.  She has suddenly taken ill and needed lots of tender loving care.  Since my parents are out of town and won't be back till after Lunar New Year, and I being a homemaker, it is only natural that she comes to stay with me while we nurse her back to health.

This one week I learned a lot and I am hoping to document it one of these days so that I have a reference on what to cook and prepare on such circumstances and I am sure it will be a very useful learning journey for our next generation as well.

So do stay tuned on a new category that I will create for this purpose.

Now I need to prepare a fast and quick way to feed more people coming for dinner as I am still suffering from that bad back.  Thus today I wanted to cook curry, a one-pot meal.  In fact, while I was at the wet market, I actually bought galangal and turmeric which is really a basic item for making curry.

Came home and started looking for a less spicy and yet tasty curry.  I went through my library and found this Special Curry Chicken.  This is a very interesting recipe that needed only a minimum of preparation and it is ideal for kids!





What you need:

2 kg chicken, cut into pieces (I used 3 breast and 3 leg)
2 tbsp ginger powder
2 cloves garlic, pounded
1 tbsp oil
1 cinnamon stick
3 cloves
2 whole star anise
18 shallots (sliced thinly)
3 cardamons, remove pods
1 cup thick coconut milk
5 cups thin coconut milk (I used tetra pak, remove one cup thick coconut milk and mix the rest with water to get 5 cups thin coconut milk)
2 tsp salt (adjust to your liking)
1 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
40g meat curry powder
 juice of a large lime (must add as it gives a totally different taste to the curry)

Potatoes (cooked and halves)

Method:

Marinate chicken with ground ginger and garlic paste.  Leave aside for 20 mins.

Heat pan with oil and stir fry cinnamon, clove and star anise till fragrant.

Add in shallots, green chilli and cardamon seeds.  Try till aromatic.

Add chicken and stir fry for 2 mins.  Cover pan and allow chicken to simmer till water evaporated.  Stir occasionally to prevent sticking.

Add thin coconut milk and continue to simmer for 15 mins.

Add thick coconut milk and brings it to a boil, stir in turmeric powder, salt and then curry powder.

Cook for a further 15 - 20 min till chicken tender.

Add cooked potatoes.

Add lime juice before serving.


Noted: if you prefers a little more heat, add 2 tsp of chilli powder to the meat curry powder.

Modified from : Betty Saw, Asian Delights


Cheers

7 comments:

  1. The curry looks delicious and a perfect way to cook dinner for lots of people. Hope your back and your sister get better soon :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is very good for kids coz it is not spicy. Thanks, my back is getting better and my sister is regaining her strength slowly.

      Delete
  2. So sorry to learn about your sister and your back, wishing you both speedy recovery. Love this easy curry, I do not like food too spicey so this is my kind of curry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Edith,
    Your curry looks good! Yes, definitely would be perfect with kids!
    I hope your sister is much better now. And sorry to hear about your back problem. Hope you have recovered by now.
    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Edith, where do you get the meat curry powder from? Wet market of is it available in the supermarket?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can get it from supermarket. I usually buy Babas.

      Delete

Thanks for dropping by. Thanks.