Monday 22 April 2013

White asparagus with mushroom

I was delighted when hubby bought home some white asparagus.   

From what I understand (pardon if I am wrong), white asparagus is actually the same as green asparagus.  White asparagus comes from the process of etiolation, which is the deprivation of light. Dirt is kept mounded around the emerging stalk, depriving it of light. The plant cannot produce chlorophyll without light, thus there is no green color to the stalks. 



I have heard so much about this but have never eaten them before.  Once hubby ate at a restaurant during one of his business dinners and he commented it was really expensive.  I believe this is available in Singapore too but I doubt it will be that cheap.  

For a bundle like this, he only paid Euro 2.60.  Thus I won't be that heart pain if I failed in my cooking.  

I was wondering how I can cook it.  Normally for the green variety, we love to have it rolled with bacon and grill it.  My family just loves that.

After doing some search on YouTube, I decided on this method as I have to have two packets of this mushroom.

So here is my White Asparagus with Mushroom.



Overall, I don't find it any different from the green variety.  Nevertheless, it was a good experience.

Cheers



What you need:

2 bundle of white asparagus
2 packet of bunashimeji mushroom
butter
olive oil
salt and pepper

Method:

Cut off 2 - 2.5" of the stem from the asparagus.

Using a fruit peeler, peel the skin off the asparagus.  For white asparagus, peel a little slightly higher to the tip.

Heat pan with butter and olive oil.

Put in asparagus and cook till it is golden brown.  Turning it to brown evenly.  Approx 8 mins or more.  (Don't cook till too soft, we like it with a slight crunch).

Season with salt and butter.

Remove and set aside on a plate.

Add in the mushroom with the remaining oil from the pan and sautee till soft. Season with salt and pepper.

Top cooked mushroom on the asparagus and serve hot.

3 comments:

  1. Lovely, where did he get those, susch a good price, they are normally very expensive in Europe! I bought some cheap ones in Fair Price finest not too long ago, not too tasty, and really jummy ones at the German Market store (don't ask the price, ouch) In the Netherlands there are a traditional dish, we steam them and eat them with molten butter, hard boiled egg and grated nutmeg. Delish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know about the pricing but so happened when he was in the weekend market, he just bought it. In Singapore, it is really way too ex. Mmmmm... if I ever have it at this price, I will try your recipe.

      Delete
  2. This is one of those dish where you don't feel like you're missing out on anything because there are so many fab textures and flavours! :D

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. Thanks.