Friday 19 July 2013

Luffa with egg

Some time back, I bought a luffa that was as dry as a bone.  I was so upset and I felt cheated.  Then again, I could only blame myself for being so ignorant about things.

This time, I bought another luffa in the supermarket.  A lady was standing next to vegetable station and I took the opportunity to ask her how to choose a good one.

She told me that I should look for green ridges rather than yellow ones.  If the corners are green, this show that the vegetable tender.  Come to think about it, it is really logical!

Anyway, upon slicing off the ridges and thick skin with a fruit peeler, the vegetable is really tender and fresh.



I love luffa with egg.  Actually this is a acquired taste, unfortunately my kids didn't like it.  I can see that it is not my hubby's favourite too.  The egg was the saving grace to this dish.  Unfortunately, I over cooked it.  My mom really does hers well as she was able to cook it silky soft.  Time to call mommy!

What you need:

1 luffa
2 - 3 eggs, beaten
soya sauce/salt
pepper
Minced garlic
1/2 cup chicken broth

Method:

Deskinned luffa and cut into half and then sliced.

Heat wok with hot and sautee garlic till fragrant.

Add in luffa and mixed well with garlic.

Add in 1/2 cup of chicken broth.

Stir in the eggs and immediately turned off fire once you see bubbles at the side.  Mixed further to distribute the cooked egg evenly.

Season with either soya sauce/salt and pepper.

Serve with rice


Cheers

6 comments:

  1. ivy sew http://simplybeautifulhealthyliving.blogspot.com19 July 2013 at 20:34

    Hi Edith, I like lufa. It's very sweet and I like it with dried shrimps too. It's a very yummy and homey dish. Enjoy your weekend, Edith :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THanks Ivy for the new cooking tip. Will def try shrimp next round.

      Delete
  2. Makes me miss my mom. She often cooks this for us. But she also put the egg first after the garlic, before the chicken broth / water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall try your method next time but first I need to convince my kids to eat.

      Delete

Thanks for dropping by. Thanks.