Thursday 4 July 2013

Roselle Jam

During my illness, my roselle plants died on me.  I was very sad because it provided a good supply of Roselle drinks that my son loves.

So after I got better, hubby accompanied me to the nursery and we bought two pots back.  Now it is time to harvest these babies.

After making the drink, I used the fruit to make into jam.  Nothing is wasted.


I am now getting the hang of deseeding Roselle too.  



So in love with these vibrant red!

What you need:

500g fresh roselle
200g sugar (to taste)
2 cup water
½ cup water

Method:

Rinse roselle and deseed.

Put 2 cup of water and roselle petals in a pot and bring to a boil.  Approx 5 mins till petal is softened.  Strain and pour the water back into the pot.  Add honey or sugar and stir till sugar melted.  Serve as drinks.

Pour the other ½ cup of water with the soften petals in a blender and blend.  If you like some bites, just a quick pulse.  Alternatively you can chop then finely.

Put the “puree” roselle and sugar into a pot and bring to a boil. (you can taste and add sugar accordingly).   Lower heat and simmer till the puree become jam like.  Keep stirring to avoid burnt. 

Store jam in sterlised glass jar and chill in fridge once cooled.



XXOO

10 comments:

  1. Hmmm...love your jam so much and the colour too very pretty.
    Enjoy your day dear.
    Kristy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kristy, I am already thinking whether this can subsitute the red in red velvet cake.

      Delete
  2. HI,I LOVE THESE JAM SO MUCH,,
    AND SAME AND HOPE I COULD MAKE FOR MY
    MUM,AS I GOT MIND IN LOCAL STORE(FU HWA),
    BUT I DON FIND IT GOOD,,HOPE U CAN LET
    ME KNOW WHERE DO U GET YOUR THESE ROSELLE
    FLOWER,,THANK U SO MUCH,,
    LING XUAN-- SG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ling Xuan, I planted this and these are fresh. What you get from Fu Hwa are the dried version. If you are lucky you might find it in wet market.

      Delete
  3. hi,,kindli could u tel me,where to get
    this roselle flower in sg,,
    hope u don mind to share,,thanks--
    madin--sg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Madin,

      I can't recall the nursery name but it is just opp world's farm. I think it is called Pioneer. They supply flowers to Ikea.

      Another place is a nursery in Jurong which was where I bought my very first roselle plant. Cheaper but smaller.

      Thong Hup Gardens Pte Ltd
      No. 2 Jurong West Street 25
      Singapore 648325
      Tel : 6 792 2622 / 6 794 2108

      Call them to see whether it is available.

      Delete
  4. i hv not even tried roselle drinks :D if i see those fresh roselles in the market next time, i want to try making the drink first .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My son loves the drink coz he likes soury stuff. I add honey to sweeten it sometime.

      Delete
  5. ivy sew http://simplybeautifulhealthyliving.blogspot.com24 July 2013 at 00:09

    Hi Edith, this homemade jam can last for few months in the fridge. My homemade roselle jam can last for more than 3 months! No preservative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes this jam does last well in the fridge but usually we used up very fast coz helper loves it.

      Delete

Thanks for dropping by. Thanks.