Friday 23 August 2013

Crepe Cake

I was planning a BBQ party for my son's 16th birthday.  Two weeks before, he told me he didn't want a party as it is during his Prelim exam.  Then I suggested we do a belated one but he turned me down.   Guess all my excitment just gone down the drain.  A milestone that I was so looking forward to.  Haiz...  These days it is hard to comprehend teen's thinking.  

As my son doesn't fancy cream cake, I was thinking what else I can bake for him besides a chocolate cake.  Inspired by Cook.Bake.Love and remembering that I did attempt this in 2011 and wasn't intimadated by the process, I make one chocolate crepe cake for him.

I layered it with ganache and chocolate balls in between as he is a chocolate lover. 

Am happy that it turned out well and he likes it.
 



(make one 6” cake) 

What you need: 
(A)
3 eggs
560ml milk
43g melted unsalted butter
A drop of vanilla extract (optional)
Pinch of salt
(B)
210g plain flour
Fillings:

Ganache
Chocolate balls
 
Method:
Mix (A) and sift in (B), mix well (you can use a blender to blend everything till smooth too). Strain the batter and let it rest for at least 30 mins. 
Heat a 6” non-stick pan over medium low heat until hot. Butter the pan and add batter to the center of the pan (I used a small ladle, then quickly swift the batter around to fill the bottom of the pan.
When the crepe is cooked, flip it over and continue to cook the other side.
Repeat till all batter is finished. Stir the batter once in a while before pan frying. 
If the pan is too hot, lower the flame. 
To assemble the cake
Spread ganache and chocolate balls. Cover with another piece of crepe and repeat.
Continue layering, saving the best-looking crepe for the top layer.

Refrigerate to chill before serving.


Happy Birthday son.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by. Thanks.