Thursday 13 March 2014

Chicken Kaarage (air fryer)

My little one has life skill project in school and this year they were supposed to assemble a bento.

I have never done a bento box during these 6 years of my girl's school life.  I kudo to those mommies who are so dedicated to their children and willing to wake up at 4 - 5am to shower their love to their kids.

With limited knowledge, girl and I went on the internet for inspiration and I decided to fry something that she likes so that she can assemble her bento during this session and eat it during her recess.

I have done this Chicken Kaarage recipe before by deep frying but it will take up too much time in the morning.  So I opted for air fried version but unfortunately, it was not the same as deep fried.

As you can see, the flour coating is still visible despite me brushing a layer of oil before that.

In the end, I had no choice but to deep fried it.  So it was a very tight and rush morning.  




What you need:

600g chicken thighs or chicken breast boneless
1 tbsp grated ginger
1½ tsp of minced garlic
2 tbsp soya sauce
1 tbsp mirin
½ tsp pepper
potato starch for coating
vegetable oil

Method: 

Cut chicken thighs or breast into chunks or bite size. 

Add the ginger, garlic, soy sauce, mirin and pepper to the chicken pieces and marinate it well.  Let it chill for an hour or two. 

Heat vegetable oil in wok.

Thoroughly coat chicken chunks with potato starch and deep fried until golden brown.

Serve with salad.



And the end result of our effort, our very first bento.  




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by. Thanks.