Tuesday 29 April 2014

Char Siew 叉烧

We love char siew but these days getting nice char siew is difficult.  It no longer comes with bits of char on it unless you have it in a restaurant.

Thus when I saw Chef and Sommelier attempted this, I know I have to try out his version as his doesn't use bottled ready made sauce.  (do visit his site for comprehensive explanation on the different meat cut that yield different texture of the char siew.  He has done a great job on it)

Since today I needed to go to the wet market for some meat, I might as well pick up a kilo and made some myself.  

After all,  I have been using this same old recipe for so long, guess it is about time to try out new recipe. 

Verdict: It is a little salty on its own but overall it is not too bad.  I will add a little more sugar or honey the next round.




What you need:

2 kg Pork
3 tbsp Maltose
5 tbsp Sugar (will increase this as we like a sweeter taste)
4 tbsp Chinese Wine
1 tsp white pepper
1 tbsp 5-spice powder
2 tbsp dark soya sauce
2 tbsp light soya sauce (might have to reduce this a little as I find it a little salty)
4 tbsp Oyster Sauce
1 cube Red fermented beancurd (1 tsp sauce)
Juice from 2-inch long Ginger


Method:

Mixed all the sauce ingredients together.  

Dry your pork with kitchen towel.

Place in an airtight container (large enough to accommodate the meat).

Pour sauce over it and rubbing it into the meat.  Marinate it overnight in the fridge.

I am using happycall pan to cook this.   Do not throw away the marinate.

Heat pan with a little oil.  Place meat in the pan and cover.  Cook for 5 mins.

Turn meat over and continue to cook for 5 mins.

I have done a total of 20mins.  The last two rounds, I swirl the meat to get the dry out juice to cover the meat.  

Remove immediately once meat is done.

Pour in the marinate onto the pan and add in a little water to make sauce.

Sift sauce to remove lumps.

Serve with rice and drizzle sauce over meat and rice.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Edith, I am also using Alvin's recipe, with minor adjustment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya Needed to have minor adjustment to suit our family liking.

      Delete

Thanks for dropping by. Thanks.