Sunday 20 July 2014

Ricotta Dumplings with Tomato and Caper Sauce

I have a tub of ricotta cheese that initially meant for pancake but I decided to try something new instead.  We often eats Chinese dumplings but for western, we have not.  So I was curious to see how different between these two cultures.  Something that I have never tried my hand doing it before.
  
Been a while since I last cook tomato based pasta so here is the recipe that I have chosen.  Ricotta Dumplings with Tomato and Caper Sauce.  


Finding: It is not bad a texture.  Girl and I kind of like it.  As the recipe is too big a batch to finish for two person, I decided to cook all and freeze the rest.  Will serve this again when my hubby comes home.

These days, it is really hard to cook for just two.  Thus you will see lesser cooking post.

Source: Everyday Gourmet 

Serve 4
What you need:

460g full fat ricotta
2 egg yolks
50g fresh grated Parmesan
144g plain flour + extra for dusting
Pinch nutmeg
Zest of ½ lemon
Salt and pepper

The sauce
2 tbsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic, finely sliced
2 anchovies, roughly chopped
1 small chilli, finely sliced
1 tbsp capers
2 cans of crushed tomatoes
1 cup of loosely packed basil leaves
Parmesan, for garnish

Method

For the sauce, heat oil over a medium heat in a large sauté pan. 

Add the garlic, anchovies, chilli and capers and sauté until the garlic just starts to turn golden brown.  

Add the tomatoes and season with salt and pepper. Bring to the boil then turn down to a low heat and simmer for 30 minutes.

Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil.

In a bowl combine the ricotta, yolks, Parmesan, nutmeg, zest and season with salt and pepper. 

Add the flour and mix together until a ball forms. Flour a clean surface and gently knead for a few seconds ensure not to overwork. 

Cut the dough into four pieces and roll each into a long sausage; then cut 2cm dumpling from this.

Add the dumplings to the water and cook until they rise to the surface. 

Place dumplings in a bowl, cover with the sauce. 

Garnish with parmesan. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Edith!
    I haven't made Ricotta Dumplings (we call them ricotta balls) in a really long time. I'm surprised there is no egg in this recipe. If I remember correctly, we use to add an egg but, I could be very wrong, lol...Great idea to freeze them. I'm sure they will stay nice in the freezer and when the hubby gets home, you'll already have one meal ready and set to go!!!

    Thank you so much for sharing, Edith...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. Thanks.