Tuesday 28 March 2017

Durian Cream Puff

Durian season is here again and I am dreaming about Durian Cream Puff.  Saw SM shared a printed recipe in a FB group and I want to try it

Though I love choux pastry, I hardly made them.  Perhaps I am not very confident with this. 



Findings: I started off with the cream first as I wanted it to be chilled when I pipe into the cream puff.  It thickens quite fast thus you need to keep stirring.

As for the choux pastry, I only added in 3 eggs as my eggs are Grade A.  

I am not sure whether it is because of the baking powder, it holds its form pretty sharp as you can see from the picture.  

The cream is delicious but a note to keep in mind, I will have to sieve through the durian puree because I couldn't use the long nozzle that meant for piping cream puff.  Also to ensure that the edges of the cream is smooth, it is highly suggested that you sieve through the cream.

What you need:


120g butter
300ml water
1/8 tsp salt
150g plain flour
4 eggs (I only added 3 because mine is grade A)
2 tsp baking powder

Cream
200g durian flesh
250ml milk
50g butter
2 tbsp custard powder
80g sugar
1 egg

Method:

Preheat oven to 190°C.  Line a cookie sheet.

Combine butter, water and salt into a pot and bring to a boil.

Add all the plain flour at one go.  Stir quickly to form a dough.  It should leaves the side of the pot.  Remove and transfer to a mixing bowl.  Set aside.

Once slightly cool, beat in one egg at a time until well combined.

Add in baking powder and mix well.

Transfer into a piping bag and pipe onto the tray.  

Bake for 20 mins.  

Reduce the heat to 160°C and bake for another 15 mins.

Remove and leave to cool.

Durian Cream

Put all ingredients into a bowl and cook over a double boiler.  Stir until the sugar dissolved and the mixture has thickened. 

Remove from heat and leave to cool.

Transfer to piping bag with your choice nozzle. 

Slit the sides of each puff and pipe in the cream.

Serve cold.


Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by. Thanks.