Thursday 18 January 2018

Red Velvet Cake

I tried Red Velvet cake with cream cheese frosting but pairing with ganache will be something new for me.  So I was curious.

Have bookmarked this recipe for quite a while and finally I have the chance to bake it.


Findings: The cake is nice and moist.  I have already reduced the colouring to only 1 tbsp but still my girl can detect the after taste.  I guess I will have to find a way to use natural colouring instead.

The frosting is easy to put together as well.  I wanted some contrast in the frosting, but next time, I will use dark chocolate instead of milk chocolate.

Thanks for sharing.


What you need:

10g cocoa powder
150g plain flour
½ tsp salt

60g unsalted butter, at room temperature
150g caster sugar
1 egg

20ml red food colouring (I used only 1 tbsp)
½ tsp vanilla exract

120ml buttermilk

½ tsp baking soda
1½ tsp white distilled vinegar

Method:

Preheat the oven to 170°C.  Lined a 6” cake pan.

In a bowl, sift together the cocoa powder, flour and salt. Set aside.

In a separate bowl, cream butter and the sugar in a bowl until light and fluffy.

Whisk in the egg until well incorporated.

Add red food colouring and vanilla extract and beat well.

On low speed, beat in flour and with buttermilk in 2 additions.

Once everything is fully combined, in a small bowl, combine vinegar and bicarbonate of soda and pour it immediately as it sizzles into the batter. Mix it in quickly until fully incorporated.

Pour the batter into greased tins and bake in the preheated oven for 20–25 minutes, or until the sponge bounces back when touched.

Leave the cake to cool slightly in the tray before turning out onto a wire cooling rack to cool completely.

Easy Ganache

What you need:

200g dark chocolate compound (melted,1 min in microwave)
170g Nestlé Cream, room temperature

Method:

Whisk these two together and let it stand in room temp for 2 hours.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by. Thanks.