Monday 12 March 2018

Urticales coconut soup 五指毛桃椰子汤

During my last trip to HK, my cousin's mother-in-law brewed this Urticales coconut soup 五指毛桃椰子汤.  She said it is very good for cough.  Actually, I only know the herb in Chinese and did a google search for this herb to get the English name for it.

It is called 五指毛桃, because the leaves resemble 5 fingers, and the fruits when ripe have skin like the peach.  The roots after boiling tasted like coconut.

I have noticed a lot of people started coughing and my girl and I also have been coughing.  So shall make a pot of this soup for the whole family.

I am not sure whether this root is available in Singapore but if you know of any medical hall that sells this, please let me know as I only have 2 bundles.  

You can read more about this herb here


What you need:
8 servings

1 bunch of Urticales root 五指毛桃
20 pcs sweet almond
10 pcs bitter almond
1 old coconut (available in Mustaffa)
400g lean pork
3 litres of water

Method:

Blanched pork.

Rinsed Urticales root, sweet almond, bitter almond, and coconut.

Bring to boil the water and add in the Urticales root, sweet almond, bitter almond, and coconut.  Bring to a boil again and lower heat to a simmer and simmer for 4 hours.

For slow cooker: Combined water and all the ingredients.  Cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 4 hours.

Season with salt.


Note: if you put this in a slow cooker, you only need 4 bowls of water.


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by. Thanks.