Thursday 23 August 2018

Sesame Walnut Paste Sweet Soup 芝麻合桃糊

Some time back, I ate Sesame Walnut Paste Sweet Soup 芝麻合桃糊 using store-bought sesame and it tasted horrible.  It lacks that fragrant taste to this sweet soup.

Then I was told that if I were to use sesame seeds for dessert, I have to buy the ones from Japan.  Since that failed attempt, I have been thinking about it and grabbed a pack during my last visit to a Japanese supermarket.

When roasting black sesame seeds, you need to be very careful because too high heat will result in a bitter taste.  Since it is black, you can't really see the doneness.  One method is to add some white sesame seeds so that when the white sesame seeds turn golden, this will indicate that the black sesame seeds are toasted well enough.

I saw this recipe adding walnut and I thought it is interesting since walnut is good for the brain and both oils from these are beneficial to one's health.


Note: You can simply use any blender you have to do this, just blitz longer.  The higher the power of your blender, the smoother the result.

Learning experience: 

The next round, I will remove the skin from the walnut and see whether it will taste better as I detected some bitterness and I suspected it might be due to the walnut skin.

Overall, the texture is smooth and I love it.  If you want it to be even smoother, go thru it in a muslin bag.

What you need:

50g roasted walnuts
100g roasted black sesame seeds
50g pearl rice, soaked for ½ hour (I don't have jasmine rice)
30g sugar
500g water

Method:

Place walnuts into the TM bowl and blend 10s/sp 7.

Add in black sesame seed, pearl rice, sugar, and water.  Cook for 10 mins/100°C/Sp 1

Blitz for 3 mins/sp 10.

Serve hot

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Which black sesame seeds did you end up buying? Do you wash and soak before toast them? How long do you do fry pan it for? Can you put them in the oven?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Japanese ones is much better. Add a little white sesame seeds. If the white seeds puff up, then the black ones will be done. It is easier to pan fry than baking it in oven.

      Delete

Thanks for dropping by. Thanks.