Thursday 15 August 2019

Sourdough : Logan and Almond Loaf

My sourdough starter has been hibernating in the fridge for a long time.  Today, I decided to give it a little wake-up call.  I wasn't sure whether it died on me so I did not get any recipe ready on hand.

The first feed did not look good but after the 2nd feed, it suddenly went really active.  So I quickly went online to find a recipe.

Last weekend, I bought a bag of dried logan and bingo, I found B's recipe almost immediately.  I modified it a little from B's. 


Learning experience: 

While baking, the first aroma was the almond.  Really nice.

The texture turned out really well.  Soft even the next day. 

Thanks B for sharing this great recipe.

Adapted

What you need:

250g bread flour
140g active sourdough starter
42g castor sugar
30g unsalted butter
68g brewed tea (I used my leftover brewed milk from another attempt)
68g hot water
78g dried longan
30g almond nibs
1 tsp salt

Method:

Pour the hot water over the dried longan to hydrate. Soak for 30 sec and drain, keep the water.

Combine all the ingredients (with the water from the logan), except butter and longan, into the mixing bowl.  Knead until the ingredients form a dough.

Add in butter and continue to knead until near window pane.

Transfer dough to countertop and spread the dough into a rectangle, add the longan and almond nibs.  Roll into a log and fold into 3s.

Continue to knead until the logan and almond are well distributed.  Shape into a ball.

Let it rest for 15 mins.  

Grease a 9.5X3.5X3.5” bread pan.

Pat gently and tension shape into a log that fits the bread pan. 

Transfer into the pan and cling wrap.  Let it proof until it touches the clingwrap.  Mine took 4 hours at 32°C.

Preheat oven to 190°C.  Bake for 35 mins.  Tent at 10 mins for my oven.

Remove from tin and cool completely on the rack before storing.




Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by. Thanks.