Thursday 17 September 2020

Potato Spam Bun (Yudane method)

When I saw this Potato Spam Bun, I knew right away my family will enjoy them.  It has all their favourite!  I also think this will make a good "sandwich" to take to a picnic.


Now I wonder why Spam is so expensive in Singapore.  In fact, everything is expensive in Singapore!  

As for today's recipe, instead of straight dough method, I wanted to try Yudane method.  In the past, I always mistaken yudane with tangzhong.  Source

After reading, I got a better understanding and for the first time, I am trying to convert a recipe myself.


Learning experience:

I should have tasted the egg mayo first as I think it needs a little salt to taste.  Initially I just seal both ends and it looks like a ruby ball. 

For the next 5, I fold up the two short ends and then seal the two long ends.  So I can get a rectangle which I find it is nicer.

Overall, the bun is delicious!   The bun is soft and the filling is yummy.

Notes:

Flour : Boiling water (1:1)

20% of the flour weight. 


Source and thanks to LC for translating 

What you need:
Yield 10 pcs

Bun
Yudane
60g bread flour
50g boiling water

240g bread flour
50g cake flour
1 egg (55g to the shell)
140g milk
5g salt
50g sugar
5 g instant yeast
40g butter

Filling
3 boiled eggs
500g steamed potatoes 
50g mayonnaise
1 can Spam
A dash of pepper
Salt to taste

Garnish
5 slices of cheddar cheese, cut into 2
Parmesan cheese powder, parsley powder appropriate amount

Method:

Bun

Pour the boiling into the bread flour and mix until well combined.  Cling wrap and let it cool completely.

Combine all ingredients with yudane dough and knead until windowpane stage. 

Shape into a ball and let it proof until double.

To prepare fillings, mash potatoes and add in mayonnaise and pepper.  Mix evenly.

Remove yolks from the boiled egg and mashed fine. 

Roughly mashed the eggs white and combine the eggs into the potato mixture together.                                                                                                                                                                              
Cut the spam into 10 pieces.

Pan-fried spam to remove excess oil.  Drain.

Divide the mashed potato into 10 portions.  Shape them into the same size as the spam.

Degas and shape into a ball again.  Bench rest for 15 mins.

While resting, cut the cheese in halves.

Roll out the dough flat.  

Place the portioned potato mash on top of the dough.

Place the spam on top of the mash.

Fold in the two short sides and then the two long sides. Seal well.

Spray a little water onto the dough and dredge them over the parmesan powder.

Cover and let it proof until 30 – 40% 

Preheat the oven to 190 

Using a scissor, cut the top and place half a slice of sliced ​​cheese on top and sprinkle with parsley powder.

Bake for 15 mins or until golden.


Strongly recommend you try it.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by. Thanks.