Wednesday 12 June 2013

Seeded cracker, Cheese Cracker

My girl loves Pepperidge Farm® cheese cracker.  You know the one in fish shaped.   In fact, she just finished one packet all by herself.



I didn't know making cracker is so easy.  So when Bake Along came out with a Seeded cracker theme, I know I must attempt at least for once.  (oops I realised that by the time I baked these, the submission date is over).

Afterall, these packet flavoured crackers are full of artificial flavouring which I am not too keen to feed my kids often with.

I have done two flavours, one for my girl and the other for the adults.  It was relatively easy to put together this recipe except that I added on 2 more tbsp of cream as I find that it was a little dry.



Also I didn't use a food processor as I was too lazy to bring it out.  Instead I used a mixer and later on use my hand to bring the dough together.

Perhaps I over worked the dough and resulted in a little shrinkage when I used a cookie cutter to cut.  Thus this explains why my crackers were out of shape.  Definitely must roll really thinnly to ensure that it is bone crisp.

Overall, this recipe is a winner.  It was totally addictive and I am not sure whether by the time hubby comes home, will there be any left for him.

Seeded Cracker

What you need:


131g plain flour
1 tsp sugar
½ tsp salt
½ tsp black pepper coarsely grind 
½ tsp poppy seed
½ tsp white sesame seeds
½ tsp black sesame seeds
6g shortening
6g cold unsalted butter
¼ cup heavy cream

Cheese Cracker

What you need:

131g plain flour
1 tsp sugar
½ tsp salt
½ tsp black pepper coarsely grind 
3 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
6g shortening
6g cold unsalted butter
¼ cup heavy cream

Method:

Mix the dry ingredients together.

Then add in the cream. 

Using a whisk, bring everything together to form a dough.  You might have to remove the whisk and using hand bring all the remaining ingredients into a ball.

Gently press dough into a disk, wrap in plastic wrap and let rest at room temperature for at least 20 mins or up to one hour. 

Position the rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 180ºC.   Line your baking sheet with baking paper.

Unwrap the dough disk and place on a lightly floured work surface. Cut the dough in half or 3, roll out the dough into a rectangular shape or square shape as thin as possible without tearing, dusting it with flour as needed to prevent sticking to the work surface.

Trim the edges of the dough to fit the prepared pan, then carefully transfer the sheet to the pan. Cut the sheets into shapes desired using pizza cutter or sharp knife. Repeat with the other half.

Bake one sheet at a time until the crackers are crisp and brown, about 13-15 minutes.

Transfer to wire racks and let cool completely until crisp. If you have baked the dough in sheets, break each sheet into pieces.


The crackers are best when eaten fresh, and they can be stored in an airtight container for up to 5 days.

Cheers

10 comments:

  1. I have all the ingredients in my pantry. Looks like it will be my next project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the recipe, Edith! These cookies look goooood....!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, you manage to try these out. yes, the dough was actually quite easy to handle, i also added additional cream to it and true, didnt know that it's quite easy to make these crackers. Glad to hear that it turn out well for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry that I was late and couldn't make it for the submission. but I had fun with it. Thanks.

      Delete
  4. Hi Edith!
    I'm glad you like the crackers! These are addictive indeed! I finished almost all of the crackers myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha.. I have to keep reminding myself to save some for my hubby but my girl is hooked to it so not too sure whether hubby will get a taste of it.

      Delete
  5. Looks like these crackers are additive! Gotta make these to keep me going while watching my kdramas! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. Thanks.