Thursday 13 June 2013

Penang Hoon Kuih

Malaysian Food Fest, Penang

When I saw Travelling Foodie's Penang Hoon Kuih that uses green bean flour, I jumped into it immediately because I have been wanting to finish up my Hoon Kueh flour.

To be honest, I didn't know what will be the outcome as I have never eaten a Penang Hoon Kuih before.  The only kueh that I ate using this flour was the pisang hoon kueh or the corn hoon kueh.

Don't ask me why I bought my hoon kueh flour in the beginning.  Perhaps during that time, I wanted to make pisang hoon kueh?

Anyway, mine is definitely not as pretty as Travelling Foodie's.  The consolation is that at least it sets which was my initially worries.  

I don't know how the exact texture should be like but mine is no way near kueh like.  In fact, it is more like agar agar minus the firmness.

Perhaps Travelling Foodie can tell me where I went wrong .... or I guess I might find another good excuse to make a trip up to Penang to find out. *wink*



I am submitting this post to Malaysian Food Fest, Penang Month hosted by Alan of Travellingfoodies


What you need:

112g green bean flour
5 1/2 cup water
3 - 4 blades of pandan leaves, rinsed and tied into a knot
1 cup sugar
1/2 tsp of oil
1 - 2 drops of food colouring

Method:

Greased a 7″ square pan with oil using a kitchen towel.

In a saucepan, add water, pandan leaves and sugar. Bring to a boil and lower flame. Allow to simmer for 5-10 min with lid on. Turn off flame and allow the solution to cool completely.

In a mixing bowl, measure out 5 cups of the sugar solution and mix with green bean flour and with 1-2 drops of pink colouring.

Strain the mixture into a saucepan. Cook over medium low flame and stir constantly with a hand whisk. The mixture will thicken and become translucent. Continue stirring until it begins to bubble slightly. Take note to scrape the base of the pan, especially the sides to prevent the batter from overcooking.

Remove from flame and pour into the greased tray to cool. 

Cut when completely cooled and firmed up.

10 comments:

  1. yes, Edith it is like agar-agar but a bit softer, you get the right texture :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never used green been flour, but heard about this dessert and really wish to have a taste one day. It looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also wish one day I can eat an authentic one to compare.

      (sorry for the late response).

      Delete
  3. Nothing wrong with your hoon kuih, Edith... the texture is just what you had described. LOL I was quite disappointed with the texture of it actually, and so was Wendy, after we'd made it! But nonetheless, at least we tried! Remember to submit your post for MFF Penang! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes at least we tried. Hope one day we get to eat one authentic one to make a comparison.

      (Sorry for the late response)

      Delete
  4. So pretty! And they look as great as agar agar desserts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes they are pretty. (sorry I missed your comment).

      Delete
  5. Thanks for sharing. This was my fav nyonya kuih growing up. Unfortunately my grandaunts are all too old to remember the recipe. So I'm very pleased to see the recipe. Yes the texture is different from agar. It should be a little more springy, so you should be able to press down on it and it will spring back instead of breaking (unlike agar-agar).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by. Hope you can test it out and see whether this is the right texture as I have never eaten one and cannot make the comparison. Looking forward to your sharing.

      Delete

Thanks for dropping by. Thanks.